This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

the OSXFUSE file system is not available (71)

Topics: Technical Issues
Dec 10, 2015 at 11:01 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2015 at 11:06 PM
Hallo

I use VeryCrypt 1.16 newly under Mac OS 10.11.2 on a MacBook Pro from 2009.
Previously I used and still use TrueCrypt 7.2a which works well.
I wanted to give VeryCrypt a try and mounted a volume of 4 GB (FAT32).
This worked first, but now I get quite often an error when I try to mount it:

/Library/Filesystems/osxfusefs.fs/Support/osxfusefs.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) kext (kmod) start/stop routine failed; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

the OSXFUSE file system is not available (71)

Then the volume won't mount.
I have up to date Fuse for OS X in Version 2.8.2 installed.

After I restart my Mac the volume would probably mount, but after a while it could be not. Its unreliable.

What can it be? At the same time all my truecrypt volumes are mountable as I said.
I can go back to TrueCrypt, but want to give it a last chance, maybe I oversee something.

Thanks

frank

EDIT: I did:

MacBook-WLAN:~ root# kextutil /Library/Filesystems/osxfusefs.fs/Support/osxfusefs.kext
(kernel) Kext com.github.osxfuse.filesystems.osxfusefs start failed (result 0x5).
(kernel) Kext com.github.osxfuse.filesystems.osxfusefs failed to load (0xdc008017).
(kernel) Failed to load kext com.github.osxfuse.filesystems.osxfusefs (error 0xdc008017).
Failed to load /Library/Filesystems/osxfusefs.fs/Support/osxfusefs.kext - (libkern/kext) kext (kmod) start/stop routine failed.
MacBook-WLAN:~ root#

doesn't help me though.
Coordinator
Dec 11, 2015 at 10:25 PM
Hi Frank,

TrueCrypt ships with his own copy of Fuse kernel extension, so one possible cause of the problem is that after your mount a volume using TrueCrypt, its Fuse extension remains loaded in the kernel and it blocks the official Fuse extension from loaded afterwards.

On purpose, VeraCrypt doesn't ship with its own Fuse extension to avoid such conflicts and to enable users to always have an up to date and secure Fuse extension.

Anyway, this is not an issue with VeraCrypt. It is at Fuse extension level and it is most certainly caused by TrueCrypt embedded extension.

While waiting for your feedback on this, the obvious solution is to make a choice: using TrueCrypt with its outdated Fuse extension (that may contain security vulnerabilities) or rely only on the well maintained OSXFuse used by VeraCrypt.
Dec 11, 2015 at 10:40 PM
Ah, understand. That could explain why it wont load the volume after I have loaded some TC volumes.
So it should be working if I load the VC Volumes first and only after the TC volumes.
So I switch to VC with all my old TC volumes and it should work?
This is a bit of a decision, as I have many other TC volumes on other devices. Lot of work to copy all these.

But thank anyway for the explain, good to know it!

frank
Coordinator
Dec 13, 2015 at 8:50 AM
Hi Frank,

You can mount your TC volumes directly in VC without converting them. You only need to tick the "TrueCrypt Mode" checkbox in the password dialog. This way no need to use TC and VC will work with no issue.
Dec 18, 2015 at 11:35 AM
Thank you! That works.
Now I only miss a command where I can mount in one command the tc-volume and the vc volume, without beeing favorites (because they are absolute not favorites).
Possible that?
e.g. as pseudocode: veracrypt mount -tc volume-tc -without-tc volume-vc
and same for unmount those
Dec 22, 2015 at 1:55 PM
At the moment I need to type in the password twice, because I need to call two diffent times veracrypt for each volume.
Not possible to call in once two volumes which have the same password?

Unmount is not a problem to call twice but mount is unhandy.
Dec 22, 2015 at 4:08 PM
In the VeraCrypt main GUI, click on the Settings > Preferences

At the bottom of the Preferences in the Password Cache section, enable "Temporary Cache password during Mount Favorite Volumes operations".
Dec 23, 2015 at 11:38 AM
Edited Dec 23, 2015 at 11:39 AM
No, this is just the same as the CheckBox when I have the dialog to enter the password and it does help only in one same VeraCrypt session (called as GUI).
In my case this does not save the password, as there are two different VeraCrypt instances, because there seems not to be a way to mount two different volumes in one command.
To remember: I mount the volumes through command line not by GUI.