This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Encrypted partition on USB device

Topics: Technical Issues
Dec 7, 2015 at 10:51 AM
Hi there,

I have a USB drive (d:) with a file that contains my encrypted partition (mounted as u:).

Since the weekend I've been unable to access my encrypted drive, although it mounts without problems Windows tells me "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable".

In the system event log I see many messages like this:
Source (Ntfs), Event ID: 55
A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume U:.
The Master File Table (MFT) contains a corrupted file record. The file reference number is 0x9000000000009. The name of the file is "<unable to determine file name>".

I can't work out how to find out more about this to try and resolve it, does anyone have any ideas that might help me?

Many thanks!
Dec 7, 2015 at 1:15 PM
Edited Dec 7, 2015 at 1:20 PM
  1. Copy the file as it is now (unmounted)! VERY IMPORTANT!
  2. Let Windows chkdsk check and repair the (mounted)file system.
  3. If you can (dont know about how many files are stored on the volume) check what is missing.
I think you did not dismount the VC volume and safely disconnect the USB drive, did you?

Of course you can use journal-analysing tools or something else, but this is the easiest way to get your drive back to work and have most (or all) of your data at hand.
Marked as answer by RobjStuart on 12/7/2015 at 6:48 AM
Dec 7, 2015 at 2:49 PM
Edited Dec 7, 2015 at 2:51 PM
Hi RandomNameforCode,

Many thanks for this, I was able to re-gain access to my partition.

I am very careful to never disconnect the USB when I have my encrypted partition mounted.

Last week was unusual in that on Friday my computer sat idle for 6hrs with the partition mounted, perhaps my computer put the USB into some sort of power save mode and that caused this?
Dec 11, 2015 at 12:32 PM
RobjStuart wrote:
Last week was unusual in that on Friday my computer sat idle for 6hrs with the partition mounted, perhaps my computer put the USB into some sort of power save mode and that caused this?
Could be, check the power options in the control panel.