This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

VeraCrypt easily DEcrypted?

Topics: Users Discussion
Dec 6, 2015 at 10:36 PM
I'm curious about your views on the claims made by Elcomsoft that their Forensic Disk Decryptor will mount and decrypt TrueCrypt volumes, files, etc. on the fly and if/how it would apply to VeraCrypt as well?
Their blurb says, "Perform the complete forensic analysis of encrypted disks and volumes protected with desktop and portable versions of BitLocker, PGP and TrueCrypt. Elcomsoft Forensic Disk Decryptor allows decrypting data from encrypted containers or mounting encrypted volumes, providing full forensic access to protected information stored in the three most popular types of crypto containers. Access to encrypted information is provided in real-time."

Thanks.
Dec 7, 2015 at 1:14 AM
Have done any research on Elcomsoft? They have made false claims in the past.
Dec 7, 2015 at 1:37 AM
I don't know anything about them. Just ran across their website and find it interesting how they make it seem so very simple to open any Truecrypt files.
Dec 7, 2015 at 1:11 PM
It is - if you choose a simple password.
I bet this is just a dictionary attack trying to guess the users password.
If anyone could actually break TC/VC with a publicly available tool, you would know that in no-time.
Dec 7, 2015 at 5:13 PM
RandomNameforCode wrote:
If anyone could actually break TC/VC with a publicly available tool, you would know that in no-time.
I don't think so. If I'd discover hole into some crypto thing (without bruteforce attack), I'd sell it to NSA for a big bag of money and keep the mouth shut ;-)
Dec 8, 2015 at 10:58 AM
Good to know your priorities, Testoslav ;D

That's why I said "with a publicly available tool". You would sure not publish (a working) "VeraCrack" without a huge media response.