Convert from truecrypt

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Dec 1, 2015 at 8:44 AM
Edited Dec 1, 2015 at 9:15 AM
Hi,

I have a backup routine that mounts an attached truecrypt device.
The mount is achieved by running the following in a vbscribt

truecrypt.exe /a devices /lk /s /q /password thisisthepassword

I'm moving from truecrypt to veracrypt now and have a veracrypted drive and changed the command to

veracrypt.exe /a /l k /s /q /b /p "thisisthepassword" with no joy. No errors nothing happens.

I've also tried
veracrypt.exe /v \device\harddisk1 /l k /s /q /b /p "thisisthepasword" wth the same result

Can anyone advise how to mount the attached USB drive as drive K ready for use?
The device mounts fine using the gui but the command line jsut seems to do nothing.

Thank you
Dec 1, 2015 at 3:28 PM
Edited Dec 1, 2015 at 3:48 PM
In your first Veracrypt command, why have you omitted 'devices', and enclosed the password in quotation marks?

In your second Veracrypt command (quote from documentation): 'device paths are case-sensitive.'
Dec 1, 2015 at 3:37 PM
Edited Dec 1, 2015 at 3:38 PM
Got it
Missed devices out. Muppet!

However
5 minutes after I got it i was sent a message by AdrianKIT

The reason I used quotes was because it says to use them in command line. Or so I thought.
Re-reading it proved me wrong though.

/password or /p It must be followed by a parameter indicating the volume password. If the password contains spaces, it must be enclosed in quotation marks (e.g., /p ”My Password”). Use /p ”” to specify an empty password. Warning: This method of entering a volume password may be insecure, for example, when an unencrypted command prompt history log is being saved to unencrypted disk.

The second entry was jsut a vain attempt which was unsuceesfull.

It does take a lot longer than truecrypt though to mount :(

Thanks though for your response
Dec 1, 2015 at 3:43 PM
Hello,

To clarify, did you convert the disk volume from TrueCrypt to VeraCrypt?

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Converting%20TrueCrypt%20volumes%20and%20partitions

Remove the /s option to see what error is being generated.
Dec 2, 2015 at 8:00 AM
No

Going forwards I'll be using Veracrypt on new installs and upgrades.
Thus new devices will be formatted and mounted to the veracrypt standard

Old ones using truecrypt will be phased out.

Unless there is a way to operate the to together>
I know there a tc argument - but what happens if I use TC and its a Veracrypt volume?
Will it just fail to mount? Or will it mount as a VC after trying to mount as a TC?

Cheers
Dec 2, 2015 at 3:13 PM
You can run both TrueCrypt and VeraCrypt software at the same time for their respective volumes.

If your TrueCrypt volumes were created using version 6.x or higher, then you can mount the TrueCrypt volumes in VeraCrypt using the TrueCrypt Mode option.

For faster mount timed in VeraCrypt, you can adjust the PIM with a password 20 or more characters.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Personal%20Iterations%20Multiplier%20%28PIM%29