Boot Issue

Topics: Technical Issues
Nov 13, 2015 at 8:06 PM
I am running a fresh install of Windows 7 SP1 and have tried to setup Veracrypt to: Encrypt the system partition or entire system drive > Normal > Encrypt the whole drive > Single-boot. Now I can use either single encryption options or cascading, the problem is that after loading the Veracrypt bootloader that prompts for password, the bootloader will validate my password but hangs on the black screen with the "pulsating" Windows logo being displayed (the screen before Windows prompts you for the user account login page). The strange thing is I hear the system noises as if Windows is loading as normal to the user account logon page but still hangs on the black screen with the pulsating Windows logo directly after the Veracrypt password verification. I have looked for a few hours to find out what might cause this issue but haven't found anything close. Any ideas?
Nov 14, 2015 at 2:49 AM
Edited Nov 14, 2015 at 3:07 AM
Hello,

Did you notice in Windows Disk Management if the Windows System Reserved partition existed?

If yes, you cannot encrypt the System Reserved partition with TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt or Windows will not boot.

You will have to use the Rescue Disk to decrypt the entire drive. When you are performing the system encrypt procedures, choose the option to encrypt only the OS partition.

Kind Regards.
Nov 14, 2015 at 4:32 AM
Hi Enigma, in the disk management window, no reserved partition existed. Everything, including the Windows boot loader was formatted on a single partition on one partition (C drive) and the system recovery was formatted on a separate partition (D drive) which I left unchecked for no encryption.

Now I was originally trying to install Veracrypt on Windows SP1 with no updates installed. I was planning on installing the updates anyway but after 5 hours of installing a round of updates, the install is now working and functioning correctly!

Maybe a driver issue that was patched through the updates or a system update? It had me pretty frustrated earlier. If you have any input on what the issue might have been let us know just in case someone runs into the same issue, or don't try to install Veracrypt on a fresh Windows 7 SP1 install with no updates lol.

Anyway, I appreciate the response and input! Take Care.