This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

File size and date Question already searched for answers

Topics: Technical Issues
Nov 6, 2015 at 4:14 AM
Edited Nov 6, 2015 at 7:02 AM
I have two easy answers that I guess I have missed somewhere in Documentation and/or forum.

No. 1
I have a 2 Gig encrypted file volume. Anytime that I change data in that file and then dismount it does OR COULD it write the date that was written or modified? I don't see that it does and it makes it difficult to do a rolling backup to sd cards. Seems it keep original creation date for all.

No2.
Question on how fast to backup? On SD card I have that 2 Gig file but only for NOW use only 200 meg of that rest is free space. IF I put more in it will it take that much longer to backup on SD card?

FYI:
I used a favorite site that I have used for YEARS to figure the haystack cracking time for my password only, not the PIM etc. added. It would take 1.04 hundred million trillion centuries at 1 trillion calculations a sec. Don't think anyone I know will get into it not even me if lost.
Nov 6, 2015 at 4:40 AM
Anytime that I change data in that file and then dismount it does OR COULD it write the date that was written or modified?
In VeraCrypt main window, go to Settings > Preferences, and look for "Preserve modification timestamp of file containers" and uncheck the box. By unchecking this option, you are telling VeraCrypt to allow the timestamp of the file container to be updated to allow the software sync to recognize that the file has been updated.

Also read the following and understand the risks.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=How%20to%20Back%20Up%20Securely

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Plausible%20Deniability

On SD card I have that 2 Gig file but only for NOW use only 200 meg of that rest is free space. IF I put more in it will it take that much longer to backup on SD card?
No since you copy the entire dismounted file container.
Nov 6, 2015 at 6:49 AM
Edited Nov 6, 2015 at 7:33 AM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
By unchecking this option, you are telling VeraCrypt to allow the timestamp of the file container to be updated to allow the software sync to recognize that the file has been updated.
Also read the following and understand the risks.
I read those pages and I thank you VERY much for the information.

I must be brain dead though is it that a new timestamp makes someone know it is getting changed or does it also change the filesize to the actual size total of files contained within. I really don't think my data is so important someone is going to threaten me but I don't get the whole "plausible deniability" idea or am I missing something? I assume only SOME need that not everyone, because of sensitivity of the data ( like the total plans of a rocket). :)

No. 2. Completely understood and sensed that would be the case but wanted to be sure because I have a slower older computer....love the program always works.

Thank you and have a great day! Next update I plan to donate again

PS: Update I just read on your general comments page the issue of "plausible deniability" and now understand it much better in legal terms WOW it is so sad. If everyone was good and honest I guess we would NOT have these problems.