This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Undesired Read Only property

Topics: Users Discussion
Nov 4, 2015 at 8:22 PM
My wife & I have an encrypted file which we share.
When she is logged on and tries to mount it with VeraCrypt, she
gets a message from VeraCrypt that it is mounted as read-only.
When I mount it from my login, I get no message.
After mounting the file, she can click "Volume Properties"
in VeraCrypt, and it says "Read-Only Yes".

Before mounting, if she does a right-click, properties,
security for the container it shows full control, including read-write.
I notice these properties are greyed out. Not sure what that means.
From my login, this looks the same.

Where is VeraCrypt seeing the read only attribute, and how can I change it?

We are using Windows 7 Home Edition
VeraCrypt 1.14 (64 bit)
Nov 5, 2015 at 12:09 AM
Edited Nov 5, 2015 at 2:31 AM
Using your wife's account, check the that the read-only option has not been enabled.

Settings > Preferences > Uncheck the box "Mount as read-only".

If your wife is using Favorites, check:

Favorites > Organize Favorite Volumes > select the file container > Uncheck the box "Mount selected volume as read-only"

If manually mounting volume, use the options button and make sure that the box "Mount volume as read-only" is unchecked.
Nov 5, 2015 at 5:45 PM
Edited Nov 5, 2015 at 5:48 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
Using your wife's account, check the that the read-only option has not been enabled.

Settings > Preferences > Uncheck the box "Mount as read-only".
It is unchecked.
If your wife is using Favorites, check:

Favorites > Organize Favorite Volumes > select the file container > Uncheck the box "Mount selected volume as read-only"
Not using Favorites
If manually mounting volume, use the options button and make sure that the box "Mount volume as read-only" is unchecked.
Read-Only is not checked

After mounting the Local Disk,
If I right click & choose properties on the folder containing the file in question, it says Read-Only is checked.
This is true for either login. If I uncheck, it applies the change. Though it is not necessary to do so
If while logged in as my wife, I try to uncheck, Windows objects, saying "The media is write protected"

Windows' protection and permission schemes have used up a disproportionate amount of time I have remaining on
this earth. If I ever meet Bill Gates, he'd better watch out. On the other hand, you have been a help in the past.

The message that VeraCrypt pops up contains the phrase:
"... due to a Windows issue, you may see this warning even after setting the appropriate security permissions."
Nov 5, 2015 at 8:43 PM
Edited Nov 5, 2015 at 8:43 PM
Hello Robert,

Let us go deeper into the security settings for Windows now that you have eliminated VeraCrypt as being the culprit. The following is for Windows 7.

Using your local Administrator account, which group is your wife's account? Standard or Administrator? Control Panel > User Accounts > select your wife's account and then Change type. My guess is that your wife's account is the Standard account and probably belongs to the Users group which only has Read & Execute.

Using your local Administrator account, right click the dismounted file container and select Properties then click the Security tab. Click on the Edit button. Click the Add button. Add your wife's Windows account with appropriate permissions.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-are-permissions#1TC=windows-7
Marked as answer by RobertMc on 11/5/2015 at 5:09 PM
Nov 6, 2015 at 12:08 AM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
Using your local Administrator account, which group is your wife's account? Standard or Administrator? Control Panel > User Accounts > select your wife's account and then Change type. My guess is that your wife's account is the Standard account and probably belongs to the Users group which only has Read & Execute.
That did it! Thanks again.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-are-permissions#1TC=windows-7
I will look into that.

Would you believe I was actually a programmer "back in the day" ?
We used a Texas Instrument mini-computer with machine language to make a control system for
machining centers. One was a 100 foot long milling machine.
Later on I did some DOS programming. I never did get the "hang" of windows.