This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

SSD system disk unrecognized after full decryption

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Oct 31, 2015 at 2:51 PM
Hello,

I've used Veracrypt in the past to encrypt my system drive, which is a 256gb SSD. I've been using it for about a year now, with no issues (I get the password prompt every time I boot). Yesterday, I decided to decrypt it as I no longer need to password-protect it. I went to the VeraCrypt tool in the taskbar (Windows 7), selected the drive and click to full decrypt. Estimated time was about 75 min, so I went away from the computer for some hours.

When I arrived, the screen was all black and unresponsive, I forced a restart, checked the BIOS, and now the SSD is not recognized, it is not even there nor it is bootable.

Please help, as I am clueless to what may have happened. I have another disk with linux I can boot for troubleshooting.
Oct 31, 2015 at 3:20 PM
...as I am clueless to what may have happened.
Did you have your PC setup with Power Saving mode to go into sleep or hibernate state after N timeframe for the entire PC or disk drive?
Oct 31, 2015 at 3:26 PM
No, pretty sure all of that was disabled.
Oct 31, 2015 at 3:43 PM
Did you merely encrypt the system partition on the SSD or the entire SSD device? Some PC manufactures have other recovery partitions, software installation, etc on the system drive in addition to the OS partition (C drive).
Oct 31, 2015 at 4:17 PM
I believe it was the entire SSD, I think i had only one partition there. Could it be that the boot loader is damaged?
Oct 31, 2015 at 4:53 PM
Just remmembered that I have the Veracrypt Rescue Disk that I made when I encrypted the SSD. Worth a try? What option should I choose?

BTW, the version is 1.0e
Nov 1, 2015 at 3:21 AM
Can you install the SSD into another PC as a secondary drive and attempt to use the mount option "Mount Without Pre-Boot Authentication"?

I am wondering if your SSD has failed.