This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

What is Backup/Restore Volume Header for?

Topics: Users Discussion
Oct 31, 2015 at 4:06 AM
New to Veracrypt and don't know what it is for.

Help!
Oct 31, 2015 at 5:38 AM
Go to the link below and scroll down to Tools -> Restore Volume Header section.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Program%20Menu
Oct 31, 2015 at 9:44 PM
Edited Oct 31, 2015 at 9:45 PM
Thank you very much!

Now, I want to encrypt my PC completely. Are there any warnings or special steps I should follow like this Backup Header thing? Is it possible that the drive gets corrupted or something?
Nov 1, 2015 at 3:02 AM
Newer versions of Windows OS have a System Reserved partition which cannot be encrypted by VeraCrypt since this will prevent your PC from booting. The drive will show-up in the Disk Management as a partition without an assigned drive letter and is less than or equal to 200 MB in size.

For system encryption, you cannot use UEFI/GPT. You will need to set the BIOS to boot using Legacy Mode and the C drive must be using MBR. You can Google search for the information.

Many PC vendors include other partitions on their system drive for recovery, troubleshooting tools and the Windows OS software. If you encrypt those partitions, you lose the ability to troubleshoot, repair and/or install OS when your PC is having problems.

I recommend choosing the option "Encrypt the Windows system partition" which will only encrypt the C drive (partition) which is the OS.

This will allow you to make use of the PC vendors recovery, troubleshooting tools and install Windows software when the PC is having problems.
Hopefully you have made backups of your system drive including the PC vendor supplied partitions since a disk failure or user error (deletes data or partition) can occur at anytime.

If you can, experiment with a test system to learn all the nuances.

Read the manual several times. It takes time to understand the information.
Nov 1, 2015 at 6:45 PM
Thank you for your answers!

It's very helpful, but now I have a doubt: "For system encryption, you cannot use UEFI/GPT. You will need to set the BIOS to boot using Legacy Mode and the C drive must be using MBR. You can Google search for the information."

Do I have to pick something like that on the menu?

I though I only have to choose "Encrypt the Windows system partition" and backup before, of course!

How do I " If you can, experiment with a test system to learn all the nuances. " ?

And last: Is there an option to backup this kinds of volume header? The encrypted drive header, is it possible?

I'm sorry if it's too obvious and thank you for your quick answers!
Nov 1, 2015 at 11:56 PM
Hello,
Do I have to pick something like that on the menu?
No. Google search on UEFI/GPT for you PC brand on how to determine if your system is using UEFI/GPT or Legacy/MBR mode.
How do I " If you can, experiment with a test system to learn all the nuances. " ?
If you have another PC that you can experiment with VeraCrypt to learn about VeraCrypt rather than using it on your daily computer. Otherwise, I would experiment with a test file container to learn how to create and use VeraCrypt.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Beginner%27s%20Tutorial

At this point, it is your best interest to read the VeraCrypt manual and Google search about UEFI/GPT rather than me repeating the manual. :-)

Kind Regards.
Nov 2, 2015 at 4:08 AM
Thank you!