This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Mounting and drive problems in Windows?

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Oct 15, 2015 at 10:39 PM
Hello.

On my very old, updated Windows XP Pro SP3, I noticed sometimes I duplicate or missing mounted drives after selecting my old TrueCrypt v7.1a container file (with and entering my password. If I unmount and retried, then it shows up. It seems like there is a glitch somewhere.

I am using the (lat/new)est installed VeraCrypt programs. I never had this problem with old TrueCrypt (still installed as well just in case).

Thank you in advance. :)
Oct 15, 2015 at 10:48 PM
Upgrade to 1.16 version if you are using a lower version.

With the all volumes dismounted, perform the following.

Using a modified version of Idrassi's instructions:
Check the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices" using regedit. Scroll down and you'll find entries starting with "\DosDevices\" which indicate the drive letters that are taken by the system. Before mounting any volume, double click on each one and remove the ones contains the name "VeraCrypt" and "TrueCrypt".
Also, there are other entries whose name start with "#{" and "\??\Volume{": double click on each one of them and remove the ones whose data value contains the name "VeraCrypt" and "TrueCrypt".
Reboot PC.
Oct 16, 2015 at 12:48 AM
Enigma2Illusion: Thanks. Dang I have so many! Can't I just delete all MountedDevices?
Oct 16, 2015 at 3:10 AM
Edited Oct 16, 2015 at 3:11 AM
antdude wrote:
Enigma2Illusion: Thanks. Dang I have so many! Can't I just delete all MountedDevices?
No. Only delete the TrueCrypt and VeraCrypt entries and reboot PC.

Did you map to network drives? I am wondering why you would have so many entries. One possible issue is orphan network drives that need to be removed.

After you manually remove the TrueCrypt and VeraCrypt entries, if you are willing to use the utility below to remove all currently non present USB Storage Devices, Disks, CDROMs, Floppies, Storage Volumes and WPD devices from the device tree. Furthermore it removes orphaned registry items related to these device types.

I request you use version 0.9.0 and not the latest version due the latest version does not wipe existing devices from the registry.

Create a directory and unzip the files into the directory.
Start a command line prompt.
Change into the directory where you unzipped the files. If you are using 64-bit Windows OS, change into x64 subdirectory.
Dismount all volumes.

To see what the utility will remove from the registry:

drivecleanup -T

To remove items the registry:

drivecleanup

Reboot PC after running utility.

Any USB that was not currently connected to your PC will be install again by Windows and you may have to manually reassign the drive letters in Windows Disk Management if you had certain drive letters for an external hard drive or thumbdrives.

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.html

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/drivecleanup090.zip

I have performed this numerous times on my system to remove all registry entries including valid devices due to tests with file containers.

If anyone knows of a better free utility, please post it.