This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Default PIM Recognition

Topics: Feature Requests
Oct 12, 2015 at 12:26 PM
It will help a lot if the boot loader can recognize the user who didn't specific the PIM parameter by setting a flag. These users can boot the PC without input the PIM. I don't like press an extra Enter every time when I boot my PC.
Oct 16, 2015 at 6:10 AM
I don't use the default password screen with FDE. I use the false message "System not found".
If I forget about the double [enter] requirement, I wait a long time before I realize my error.
I have a solution for this annoyance if it doesn't compromise security. How about this:
If the last four digits of a password are numeric, then that value is the PIM value.
A password of xxxxxxxx0000 would eliminate the need for the double enter.
Oct 16, 2015 at 6:46 AM
GeorgeWest, you stole my idea ..... I even think, in order not to compromise the security and not cause confusion, the PIM value has to be ALWAYS read as the last numbers of the password. If the passowrd is less than 20 characters and there are no digits at the end, then VC should not create the volume.
Oct 16, 2015 at 1:03 PM
Why not just independently encrypt the PIM value with user password and store it in the header. This way is risk-free and convenient.