This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

(almost) impossible to make usb boot key from veracrypt rescue iso

Topics: Technical Issues
Oct 9, 2015 at 6:06 PM
I do know that per the VC rescue instructions, it says to just copy the iso to a usb key - but I am pretty certain that won't result in a bootable usb key; you have to burn a iso image to a usb key.

I know that making usb boot keys can be a finnicky process, so I tried several make-an-iso-from-usb-key programs.. Rufus worked to create the disk a single time, but I cannot repeat the successful behavior any longer, regardless of usb key brand (or usb port, in case one of them might be faulty).

I tried reformatting/repartitioning all the usb keys in the pile, including two that I bought brand new, a Lexar and a Sandisk. You may say "well you only need it to work once, right? Why did you have to make the rescue disk again?" Yes, that's true, unless one has to rebuild the system and recreate the disk again - which I had to do.

I have also tried decrypting and reencrypting my system disk a few times (and verifying the .iso from inside Veracrypt) - that didn't help. I have not tried to burn a cd since I don't have a burner on the machine that is getting encrypted.

Any ideas, vc-ers? All the burn-to-usb software seems to see the keys just fine, which can be partitioned and formatted, but they seem unable to detect the rescue disk iso as being a legit iso.

Thanks!
Oct 9, 2015 at 10:10 PM
looks like Flashboot works. Fyi.
Dec 25, 2015 at 11:29 PM
Indeed the demo version of Flashboot works perfectly but I have just posted an alternative that uses free tools although it requires some manual steps.
More information at: https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/discussions/644091#post1457184