Question about switching from TrueCyrpt

Topics: Users Discussion
Oct 1, 2015 at 1:18 PM
Edited Oct 1, 2015 at 3:22 PM
I was dragging my feet about switching over to VeraCrypt but now, after the announcement of the TrueCrypt security flaws a few days ago, I've been reinvigorated.

I have about 20 non-system external drives already encrypted with TrueCrypt. I know I can convert the TrueCrypt volumes and partitions to VeraCrypt. My question is: does this conversion also take care of the flaws just discovered or do I need to decrypt them and re-encrypt them?
Oct 1, 2015 at 5:01 PM
Edited Oct 1, 2015 at 5:03 PM
What flaws are you referencing from a few days ago about TrueCrypt?

VeraCrypt can only mount or migrate non-system TrueCrypt volumes that were created using TrueCrypt 6.0 or higher versions.

You can mount the volumes in TrueCrypt and in the TrueCrypt GUI, right click on the mounted volume and select properties. If the format value is 1, you have pre-6.0 version. The newer header format will display as "format 2".

I would recommend waiting until 1.16 VeraCrypt is released to address usability issues being discovered on 1.15 version. No need to decrypt and re-encrypt.
Oct 1, 2015 at 5:26 PM
I'm referring to the security vulnerabilities found in TrueCrypt that were patched out of VeraCrypt in 1.15

I've been using TrueCrypt 7.1 to encrypt my drives, but I want to switch over to VeraCrypt now. Do I have to use VeraCrypt to re-encrypt the drives I've already encrypted with TrueCrypt? Or will the simple conversion process handle the vulnerabilities.
Oct 1, 2015 at 5:43 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
I would recommend waiting until 1.16 VeraCrypt is released to address usability issues being discovered on 1.15 version. No need to decrypt and re-encrypt.
Simply convert the volumes.