This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

PIM maximum value 15 seconds

Topics: Users Discussion
Sep 8, 2015 at 12:15 AM
staff

Please help me for getting a PIM value of no more than 15 seconds at startup.

See my settings below:

Windows 7 Professional
1ghz processor
2 GB RAM
500GB HD

I wonder this value to the operating system encryption
Sep 8, 2015 at 4:30 AM
Edited Sep 8, 2015 at 4:44 AM
You will have to experiment with the PIM values for your system to determine the wait time for mount using system encryption. Your password will need to be 20 or more characters to use a lower PIM value. You must remember your non-default PIM value.

When you find the PIM value to give you approximately 15 seconds wait time for mounting, please create a new rescue disk and remember your PIM.

Assuming 1000 iterations takes one second on your system (I completely guessing since there are too many variables for hardware and HDD access speeds), try a PIM value of 7 which calculates to 7 x 2048 = 14336 iterations for system encryption.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Header%20Key%20Derivation

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Personal%20Iterations%20Multiplier%20%28PIM%29

I have a feature request to add benchmarking for the various hashes including default and user PIM values for system and non-system encryption at the link below that you can vote-up.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/workitem/182
Sep 8, 2015 at 5:13 PM
The documentation is mentioned create a new volume does not VerCrypt, and third-party programs, perform a backup.

Well, most programs offer encryption for image backups, then it is possible to back up normally? Or have to back up sector by sector?

Thank you
Sep 8, 2015 at 5:51 PM
Edited Sep 8, 2015 at 6:08 PM
Using your backup program's encrypted backup feature, you do not need to backup to a VeraCrypt encrypted partition/drive if you feel the backup program's encryption is trustworthy and/or you do not want to have the possible issue of not being unable to access the backups located on a VeraCrypt volume when the system fails to boot.

Depending on your backup software, you may be able to create a backup program boot/rescue disk with VeraCrypt binaries. You would have to check with your backup software vendor to see if that is possible and test that you can mount the VeraCrypt volume holding your backups using their boot/rescue disk.

The source disk/partition that you are backing-up should not need to be cloned or perform sector-by-sector backup of the VeraCrypt mounted volume since the backup program will receive the data unencrypted.

For system encryption, if you perform a full restore, you will likely need to run VeraCrypt decrypt system encryption to remove the bootloader and re-encrypt the system drive/partition.
Sep 8, 2015 at 8:59 PM
This point is kind of boring! Rerun the System cryptography after restored.

I did a lot with TrueCrypt with a 15 GB partition, made up sector by sector and also performed restoration in the same way using the Aomie Backupper (Via boot media)

Anyway thanks for the tips
Sep 8, 2015 at 9:26 PM
Edited Sep 8, 2015 at 9:40 PM
You are correct that you will not need to re-encrypt if you use clone or sector-by-sector backup of the system disk. I misunderstood your question.

For restoring non-system encryption without sector-by-sector backup, you can mount the encrypted volume and restore the data into the mounted volume without having to re-encrypt the non-system encrypted volume unless the volume has been damaged and will not mount.
Sep 8, 2015 at 10:45 PM
I've had a partition on an external hard drive of 15 GB made by TrueCrypt. I did and performed backups sector by sector.

To perform a complete restoration I had to leave the unallocated partition to restore sector by sector.

As I already said this last comment, if you back up sector by sector, it is not necessary to re-encrypt the operating system again
Sep 14, 2015 at 6:02 PM
Using Aomie Backupper catering sector by sector not worked. It passes the pre-boot authentication Windows says missing file "winload.exe"

Restored with the unallocated partitions and with the operating system layout