This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Should I expect Windows 8 to Work?

Topics: Technical Issues
Sep 5, 2015 at 12:35 AM
Successfully using VeraCrypt on a Window7 desktop and laptop.
Previously used TrueCrypt on those 2 plus a "Nextbook" tablet running Windows 8.

While VeraCrypt apparently mounts the container which I copied from the desktop, it is
non-functional. Right click Properties shows 0 bytes. Left click says "M:\ is not accessible.
Access is denied.". One thing different is that I placed the container in C:\users\bob\documents
on someones recommendation. Could that be a problem? Previously the container was at
the top level C:.
Sep 5, 2015 at 3:05 AM
Are you running Windows 8 on a fourth machine or did you perform an upgrade on one of the three systems you listed in your post?

Did you move or copy the file container?
Did you perform the above operation to the new location while the volume was dismounted?

Did you check the box for TrueCrypt mode since your post mentions using TrueCrypt previously?

Can you still mount the original location and access the files of the original location on the Windows 8 system?
Sep 5, 2015 at 2:21 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
Are you running Windows 8 on a fourth machine or did you perform an upgrade on one of the three systems you listed in your post?

There is no 4th machine. The tablet has always been Windows 8

Did you move or copy the file container?
If, by container you mean the single coded file made by VeraCrypt on the Windows 7 desktop, yes.
Did you perform the above operation to the new location while the volume was dismounted?
Not sure. Does it make a difference?

Did you check the box for TrueCrypt mode since your post mentions using TrueCrypt previously?
No.

Can you still mount the original location and access the files of the original location on the Windows 8 system?
No, that is the problem. I was previously able to copy over the TrueCrypt container to the Windows 8 tablet, and
use it with True Crypt. It has been since deleted, as the tablet has limited space.
Sep 5, 2015 at 4:03 PM
File container in TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt is a virtual drive. The documentation has an example of creating a file container.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Beginner%27s%20Tutorial

No, that is the problem. I was previously able to copy over the TrueCrypt container to the Windows 8 tablet, and use it with True Crypt. It has been since deleted, as the tablet has limited space.
If the file container was created using TrueCrypt and you did not convert the file container to VeraCrypt, then you would have to check the box to use TrueCrypt mode in order to mount the volume successfully. Otherwise, you would have received an error.

That leads me to the conclusion that you moved/copied the file container while the volume was still mounted which is leading to the problem on the tablet.
  • On your Windows 7 machine, create a small file container and copy non-important files into the mounted file container.
  • Dismount the file container on your Windows 7 machine.
  • Copy/move the file container to your tablet running Windows 8.
  • Mount the file container.
Did the small file container mount successfully and can you see the few files you placed in the file container?
Sep 5, 2015 at 11:42 PM
Edited Sep 6, 2015 at 7:31 PM
Thanks for the detailed answer. I just created a 500meg container on the W7 computer, copied it to the W8 and successfully mounted it there.
It is possible I had originally copied the 6Gb container while it was in use. I did not know that would be a problem. I will retry the 6Gb container tomorrow and see if the problem is solved. I'll let you know.
Sep 6, 2015 at 7:37 PM
Trying again to install Local Drive M:\ on the Tablet.
I Dismounted M: on desktop, copied M-Drive3, the container, to
the tablet. About 20 minutes using new wire. Seems like it took about an hour using the
WI-FI connection previously used.

After re-boot of tablet: Mount M:\ using VeraCrypt and password.
Click on Local Disk (M:). Error pops up: "Location is not available.
Access is denied."

Properties shows used & Free space is 0 bytes.
The container shows 6.00 GB.
Security for container say I have Full control.

Is there not enough ram? desktop has 6 Gb. Tablet has only 1GB.
The Dell Laptop, where it works has 6 GB.

Is it the permissions on the desktop limiting users to one specific name on the desktop?
The 500MB file I tried yesterday had Everyone with full control.

I am unsure of which direction to proceed. Is it a filesize/RAM problem, An OS deficiency?, or permissions?
Sep 7, 2015 at 1:22 AM
Edited Sep 7, 2015 at 1:55 AM
This is a permissions issue between the two machines.

For NTFS, Windows stores an Secure ID (SID) for each user and group. Certain groups will have the same SID in Windows. Administrators and System groups for example. However user accounts and groups will likely be different.

Does your account on the Windows 8 have full control before and after you mount the volume? In other words, full control on the file container unmounted and full control on the contents when mounted?

Google searching on "Windows file access denied" resulted in a couple of articles that may help you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2623670

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/im-an-administrator-on-windows-8-but-still-get/2aed6083-b986-4423-90bb-986749bc236b
Marked as answer by RobertMc on 9/7/2015 at 5:32 PM
Sep 7, 2015 at 11:20 PM
Edited Sep 7, 2015 at 11:20 PM
I think I am making some progress. I have made another 6GB container on the Windows 7 computer, and only copied about 1.5GB to it.
When I copy that container to the tablet, it works fine for that size. I will copy the rest and see if that works. I may never know why the previous 6GB container did not work right.
Sep 8, 2015 at 12:31 AM
Edited Sep 8, 2015 at 12:32 AM
That 2nd 6GB container worked OK with the full amount of data in it.
I have no real explanation why the previous one didn't work,
but the symptoms I described: zero size, etc are consistent with a permissions problem.
Sep 8, 2015 at 4:35 AM
Thank you for posting your results and resolution. It is very difficult to remotely troubleshoot a permission/ownership issue.