This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

I'm ignorant, educate me...

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Aug 29, 2015 at 9:05 PM
Okay... So I seem to be having a lot of issues here and hope someone here can assist with out being condescending as are users on other forums.

I have been looking for a solution to 1. encrypt my thumb drives and my external drive with AES or AES+twofish.

I tried encrypting my thumb drive the other evening with Veracrypt and it succeeded in finishing but kept telling me my password wasn't accurate. I did it again, making sure to watch everything I typed and still the same thing when I tried to access the drive. I tried it under ntfs and fat. Windows and Mac. Same thing over and over. Has anyone seen this happen? I know for a fact the password was put in right all 5/6 times I encrypted these two different thumb drives.
  1. Once encrypted, if I can get this to work, will it work on both MAC and PC computers? That is something I am looking for in an encrypted thumb drive. OR do I just have to buy one off line with the numeric pad already built into it for security?
  2. Is there a simpler tool WITH A GUI not "command line" that I can use to encrypt these devices?
  3. Is there a GUI tool that I can use to encrypt my external drive on the fly without having to reimage the drive?
I have tried bit locker to go and it works fine on my MAC running parallels with windows 10. However the MAC will not read the drive. I have tried to use the software on my mac that "claims" you can view bit locker to go on your mac but it doesn't work either.

Any help would be appreciated. I just tried the symantec end point encryption on my thumb drive that was imaged on the Windows box. It works beautifully on the Windows side but as soon as I try to use it on the MAC side it sais it can't be read.

There has to be a simpler way of getting this to work... lol
Sep 2, 2015 at 6:58 PM
Instead of fussing around with trying to encrypt the entire thumb drive I would just create a large Veracrypt volume close to the size of your thumb drive. That way #1 the thumb drive itself will be seen by both windows and mac and #2 Veracrypt installed on either a Mac or Windows will be able to read and decrypt the volume. This is what I've done. I used to have a Truecrypt volume on my Windows machine at work. When Truecrypt died I converted it over to Veracrypt. Then I transferred that volume to a thumb drive and over to my home machine (Mac). No issues.
Goodluck.