This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

x32 version of Veracrypt on Windows 7 x64

Topics: Technical Issues
Aug 18, 2015 at 9:54 AM
Hi,

I have issues with the latest version of veracrypt 1.13. Because it is x64 bits it seems not to be able to use my Siemens smart card library siepcap11.dll

Version 1.0f-2 used to copy siepcap11.dll from Syswow64 to system32 when I auto detected for a PKCS #11 library.

Now 1.13 fails to find anything and it does not copy the DLL. If I manually do it with Select Library it crashes Veracrypt, probably because x64 programs cannot use 32 bit DLLs.

Are you aware of a way to install Veracrypt 1.13 32 bit version in Windows 7 x64 or better yet where can I get x64 version of Siemens HiPath SIcurity Card API? The version that I use is 3.1B (Build 26). Or maybe I need the x64 version of the siepcap11.dll only?
Aug 26, 2015 at 10:17 AM
Is it really so complicated a question to answer? Please, anyone?
Sep 2, 2015 at 8:03 PM
avok00 wrote:
Is it really so complicated a question to answer? Please, anyone?
Probably because no one is using this product.
try to get a 64bit version of the library. Theoretically, there is such a driver, I think I found it at an university page, however it requires username and password for download, so I could not get the package.
Coordinator
Sep 2, 2015 at 10:32 PM
As AlbertJohn said, you need a 64-bit version of the PKCS#11 dll. All smart card manufacturers provide both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries.

Starting from version 1.13 VeraCrypt uses binaries with the same architecture as Windows in order to boost performance on 64-bit machine. This also mean the VeraCrypt can only load 64-bit dlls on Windows 64-bit.

That being said, there is another solution to your problem if you can't find the 64-bit PKCS#11 dll: run the installer of VeraCrypt 1.13 again but this time choose "Extract" instead of "Install". This will extract VeraCrypt binaries that can be used in Portable mode and among them you will find two executable files: VeraCrypt.exe and VeraCrypt-x64.exe. This file VeraCrypt.exe is the 32-bit version of VeraCrypt binary.
So, you can use VeraCrypt.exe in Portable mode to use your 32-bit PKCS#11 (don't forget to first exit any running instance of the installed VeraCrypt).

In the version 1.14, I will also put a copy the 32-bit binary of VeraCrypt.exe on Windows 64-bit (probably it will be named VeraCrypt-x86.exe) so that it can be launched by those needing a 32-bit VeraCrypt on 64-bit Windows.
Sep 3, 2015 at 6:34 PM
Thanks idrassi!

If you could put the x32 executable in 1.14 so that I can use it in non portable mode that would be really helpful!

I understand that the ideal solution would be to get the x64 version of siepcap11.dll, but the package I have does not install it for some reason and I was not able to find x64 version online despite all my efforts.
Sep 5, 2015 at 12:44 AM
I managed to find an install of CSSI 4.8.1 User edition and that has x64 dll and supports my smart card. Everything works fine now. I don't recommend using x32 veracrypt drivers on windows 7 x64 anyway, because of a known windows 7 bug with corruption of large files during x32 copy operations.