This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Cannot access any container after updating to 1.13

Topics: Technical Issues
Aug 15, 2015 at 3:20 PM
I just updated to v1.13 on my win7 system. Now I can't access my VC containers, even my cold storage backups (created on v1.0f).
I tried uninstalling v1.13 and reinstalling v1.12 and still can't access containers from any of my win 7 systems.

please help.
Aug 15, 2015 at 3:35 PM
  1. how long have you been using your VC containers?
  2. do you use keyfiles?
Aug 15, 2015 at 3:46 PM
In addition to Alex512's questions, how are you mounting the volumes? Manually, favorites or via command line script?

What error are you getting?
Aug 15, 2015 at 3:48 PM
I've been using VC sice they took over TrueCrypt. I created new volumes when I switched to VeraCrypt. I've been using the same container for about a year. I use a password. I keep a cold storage backup (which is about 6 months old).
I also have VC installed on my laptop and 2 other desktops. None can read my cold storage versions nor copy of the master version that was working yesterday with v1.12.
Aug 15, 2015 at 3:53 PM
I manually mount the volumes.
Aug 15, 2015 at 3:56 PM
Edited Aug 15, 2015 at 3:59 PM
(deleted)
Aug 15, 2015 at 3:59 PM
Edited Aug 15, 2015 at 3:59 PM
Hi,

So you are using container files, right?
Did you try mounting using the embedded backup header?

I don't see how the upgrade to the latest VeraCrypt would provoke this. Nerthless, you can uninstall VeraCrypt and install VeraCrypt 1.0f-2 and see if things are better (I doubt it). Does it mount?
Aug 15, 2015 at 4:14 PM
I did try to "restore" the backup header, but no go. I see there is an option to "permanantly decrypt" volume.
I do not use full disk encryption. Would that be a safe option?
Aug 15, 2015 at 4:18 PM
I'm not talking about "restore". I'm talking about the mount option "Use backup header embedded in volume if available" that is available when you click "Mount Options" on the password dialog.
Aug 15, 2015 at 4:20 PM
Here is screenshot of what I mean:
UseEmbeddedHeader
Aug 15, 2015 at 4:27 PM
unfortunately, negative results on both the master and the backup
Aug 15, 2015 at 4:39 PM
another thing that is just really odd, I have other containers on flash drives, external usb etc, that I've been using up until today. As of today, all these other containers are unassailable.
Aug 15, 2015 at 4:47 PM
I just tried some testing:
I have 3 different windows 7 systems. One with 10f-2, another with 1.12 and the 3rd with 1.13
each tried to open the master and the cold storage from usb external drive.
All give the same error.

I was able to create a new volume and open and close without a problem.
Aug 15, 2015 at 8:42 PM
how many "old" containers do you have (that wont open)?
and on how many DIFFERENT devices (usb, flash, etc) are they located?
Aug 15, 2015 at 10:19 PM
I finally figured it out! oh dang it was so simple. I checked the "true crypt volume" switch and the volumes opened right up!

I feel stupid now. Sorry for the headaches.
Aug 16, 2015 at 2:29 AM
Edited Aug 16, 2015 at 2:30 AM
Now we know what to say the next time another user has similar symptoms!

So VeraCrypt's documentation has been improved. :-)
Aug 16, 2015 at 3:00 AM
ShadeTreePC wrote:
I finally figured it out! oh dang it was so simple. I checked the "true crypt volume" switch and the volumes opened right up!

I feel stupid now. Sorry for the headaches.
Are you saying you accidentally checked the TrueCrypt switch or you had to enable the TrueCrypt switch to mount the file containers?

I am glad you figured out the issue. I am just trying to reconcile the statement below with what you performed to resolve the issue. :-)

ShadeTreePC wrote:
I've been using VC sice they took over TrueCrypt. I created new volumes when I switched to VeraCrypt. I've been using the same container for about a year. I use a password. I keep a cold storage backup (which is about 6 months old).
I also have VC installed on my laptop and 2 other desktops. None can read my cold storage versions nor copy of the master version that was working yesterday with v1.12.
Aug 21, 2015 at 10:44 PM
i had to enable the TrueCrypt switch in order to enable the volume.
I must of been using an old TC volume and only thought I had changed it to a VC volume.
Thanks for the help.