1.12, Hash sums, Crash-impact

Topics: Technical Issues
Aug 12, 2015 at 12:32 AM
Edited Aug 12, 2015 at 12:35 AM
Hi idrassi,

the 1.12 files disappeared rather quickly.
I installed it and wanted to check the hash sums later. Now that does'nt seem to be possible any more.
1.12 was a "stable" version, but it's missing in the "released"-Box.

Would you mind telling me the SHA-256-sum of that 1.12 setup .exe?

And another thing:
The fact that 1.12 vanished so fast looks a bit odd. Was the problem such a big deal that you had to contain it by removing 1.12 that quickly?

I have been using the 1.12-version for a couple of days. I'm not using Tor, so I did'nt experience the crash. I'm using Firefox, seemed to work fine.

Do I have to be concerned about the integrity of my data on volumes which I have been using with 1.12?
I have backups, but I need to know if the 1.12-Tor-issue could be responsible for any kind of data loss or volume damage. In that case I would be able to recover before it's too late.

thanks, regards
Aug 12, 2015 at 2:40 AM
You can download the software and signatures from the SourceForge site for 1.12 version using the link below. Mounir may have accidentally removed the 1.12 from CodePlex site since 1.12 is available at the mirror site.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/veracrypt/files/VeraCrypt%201.12/

There is no danger to your volumes using 1.12 version. You would not be able to run TOR/FireFox installation located on a VeraCrypt volume since the TOR application would crash.

I would still recommend upgrading to 1.13 version in case there are other applications impacted. You can read Mounir's explanation in the following thread.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/discussions/642465

Kind Regards.
Aug 12, 2015 at 11:21 AM
Thanks.

I actually did read that. Did'nt quite understand it, to be honest. :-)
crashes because of a memory allocation failure.
That one had me a bit worried.
Aug 12, 2015 at 1:48 PM
The memory allocation failure affected the TOR application due to the invalid values being used when the VeraCrypt driver did not pass a value. Hence, no issues regarding the VeraCrypt volumes.
Coordinator
Aug 12, 2015 at 9:32 PM
I confirm Enigma2Illusion statement: there never was any issue with the data integrity. The Tor issue was a RAM memory allocation failure and not a storage issue.