This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Laptop is not booting with newest beta

Topics: Technical Issues
Jul 22, 2015 at 8:19 AM
Hi everybody,

I have a big problem:

I have an Acer Notebook with Win 8.1 64bit and the newest beta of veracrypt. I installed it a few days ago, had a pw with more than 20 characters, encrypted the system and set the PIM to 1. In the options I activated "Do not show any texts in the pre-boot authentication screen’".

Now the problem: The device is not booting, although I have the right pw (Yes I´m sure). It simply says nothing, no error message or something. Of course I was waiting for a long time. I think, in the beginning it started once and I had to put in the PIM. But that was before I activated "Do not show any texts..."

Unfortunately i lost my recovery disc...

Can somebody help me ?

Thanks and greetings from Berlin
Michael
Coordinator
Jul 22, 2015 at 10:44 AM
Hi Michael,

Are you sure you hit ENTER twice (once after entering the password and once after entering the PIM which is 1 in your case)?
I think you just probably didn't hit ENTER the second time after typing the PIM.

Basically, the new PIM must be entered each time you boot your system, right after entering the password. Here is how it looks like:
BootloaderPimPrompt

So you would type the password, hit ENTER, then type the PIM and hit ENTER a second type. When the pre-boot text is hidden, the same sequence must be repeated.

Just to check, I have just done a test after activating the option to hide all bootloader texts and it indeed works as expected.

Voilà voilà...
Un grand bonjour de Paris à Berlin!
Jul 22, 2015 at 10:52 AM
Thanks for your fast answer ;-)

The system doesn´t answer for the PIM...

I had a similar problem before I activated the PIM functionality, the system didn´t boot. But after a few trials it worked. But now nothing...

So the PIM input is right after the pw ?

Greetings, M
Coordinator
Jul 22, 2015 at 10:59 AM
Yes, the PIM input is right after the password.

Also, beware that the keyboard is in US layout during boot, so digits must be typed using US keyboard layout. If you mistakenly use the German way to enter the digits (usualy SHIFT + key), it will not work. Either use keypad is you have one (after activating it of course) or type digits using the US layout. Here is how the US layout looks like:
USLayout

So, you have to type the PIM using the keys encircled in red, without typing any shift.
Jul 22, 2015 at 12:32 PM
Edited Jul 22, 2015 at 4:46 PM
Thanks, I will try it in the evening. But the "1" in the german layout ist the same as in the us layout ? What will happen, if the pw is not correct ? error message ?

Edit: I forgot to say, that I put in a fake message in connection with "Do not show any texts...", maybe interesting ?
Jul 28, 2015 at 10:45 PM
Sorry to bother, What is a PIM idrassi?
Is that like a pin number that you have to create with the new version? I have not tried the beta yet.

Also, do you always recommend uninstalling the old versions before updating to new versions?
Jul 29, 2015 at 3:26 AM
Edited Jul 29, 2015 at 3:27 AM
See the documentation for an explanation of PIM.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Personal%20Iterations%20Multiplier%20%28PIM%29

Also, do you always recommend uninstalling the old versions before updating to new versions?
No, merely upgrade and reboot PC when prompted.
Aug 1, 2015 at 12:25 PM
Edited Aug 1, 2015 at 12:27 PM
Aug 1, 2015 at 12:26 PM
msberlin wrote:
Thanks, I will try it in the evening. But the "1" in the german layout ist the same as in the us layout ? What will happen, if the pw is not correct ? error message ?

Edit: I forgot to say, that I put in a fake message in connection with "Do not show any texts...", maybe interesting ?
Any new idea to my questions an problem ? ;-)

Thanks !
Coordinator
Sep 5, 2015 at 2:55 PM
Can you please give a status on your problem?

If you have configured a fake message, then you have to hit ENTER twice after you type the password since you don't use a PIM.
Sep 6, 2015 at 7:18 PM
I had to restore the whole computer, now it works. But I didn´t set a fake message this time... Fortunately I had a backup in the cloud
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2015 at 7:40 PM
Thanks for the update.
I did another test with the fake boot message feature and it works as expected if ENTER is hit as expected (twice after password entry if no PIM, once after password and once after PIM if a PIM was set).
I can find an explanation why it didn't work for you.

Anyway, you didn't have to restore the whole computer. Just use the Rescue Disk to start your system and you could have had access to your machine and from there you could reconfigure the bootloader.
Sep 6, 2015 at 7:45 PM
I know, but I lost my rescue disk, my fault ;-) But thanks for your support and the good software !
Sep 12, 2015 at 6:41 PM
Im having the same problem. I use windows 8 and I have mine set up to not show any text in my boot loader. It only shows a blinking cursor. I tried entering my password followed by two enters. That solved my problem.