This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Corrupted Drives?

Topics: Technical Issues
Jun 27, 2015 at 2:26 AM
I have 3 external harddrives which I did full disk encryption on in 2013 using Truecrypt. They all used the same password, and all contained hidden volumes. The data in them is pretty much identical, they were set up as redundant backups. I entered the passwords in on a daily basis for over a year, so i am 99.99% certain of the passwords for both the outer and inner volumes.

They were in storage for well over a year. When i plug them in i get the usual message that the disk should be formated. I always cancel out of that screen and use the automount devices option on the following screen.

When i try to mount them now the veracrypt/truecrypt GUI hangs (not responding) for 60 seconds, then i am given a notice "incorrect password or no VeraCrypt volume found"

I am 99.99% sure I am entering the correct password. How do I check if the drives are still good or if they were corrupted somehow? If they are still good, how can I set up a brute force attack to try different combinations of my password and possible keyfiles? Is there any tools to repair a corrupted device?

I have tried to mount the devices on both windows 8 and max osx without any luck.

Any help you can provide is highly appreciated.

Thank you
Jun 27, 2015 at 3:15 AM
Edited Jun 27, 2015 at 3:15 AM
Which version of TrueCrypt?

VeraCrypt can open TrueCrypt versions 6.x or higher.

When mounting TrueCrypt volumes, you must select the TrueCrypt Mode. See link below:

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=TrueCrypt%20Support
Jun 27, 2015 at 5:39 PM
Edited Jun 27, 2015 at 5:40 PM
I got same problem. A few days ago, my full disk encrypted win7 had boot problem. I tried everyway to repair it but failed because of full disk encryption. Today i corrupted truecrypt boot loader by mistaken. Is there any way to recreate truecrypt boot loader.
I was using 7.1a and never created a rescue disk.
Coordinator
Jun 27, 2015 at 10:13 PM
@DocMcstuffins:
In case you are using VeraCrypt, don't forget to check the "TrueCrypt Mode" checkbox in the password dialog.
Also, Did you try mounting using the embedded backup header? In the password dialog, click "Mount Options" and then check "Use backup header embedded in volume if available". This solution solves most issues coming from a corrupted drive header. If you still have the error, this would mean that either the drive is completely corrupted since the backup header resides at the end of the drive compared to the normal header which resided at the beginning of the drive.
Of course there is also the possibility that you simply forgot the password, but this is another story...

@YiptoCry:
You can use any rescue disk to restore the boot loader but if you also corrupted the volume header, only the original rescue disk can help you and since you don't have it, you'll be unable to boot or decrypt your system.
So, just create a TrueCrypt rescue disk, boot on it and choose restore boot loader. If you are lucky, your system will boot again. If you can't create one, you can grab it from here: https://www.idrix.fr/VeraCrypt/TrueCrypt_Rescue_Disk.iso
Jun 27, 2015 at 11:35 PM
Thank you all for your helpful replies.
I upgraded veracypt from 1.c to the latest build and it works perfectly now. The version i was using did not have a "TrueCrypt Mode" checkbox option.

Anyway I can see my data now, damn that's a good feeling!
THANK YOU THANK YOU
Jun 28, 2015 at 8:20 AM
@idrassi, thank you.

I was looking for an empty cd to write your rescue disk but i found my original truecrypt rescue disk by chance.

Now im decrypting my system drive. Seem to 15 hours remaining.

Btw. How shame on me that i noticed veracrypt yesterday.

When i recover my system, i ll use veracrypt for full disk encryption.

Thank you and your team.