speed of Veracrypt on modest hardware

Topics: Technical Issues
May 18, 2015 at 10:12 PM
Hi Mounir,

I'm using a VC container files on a microsd card on my new HP Stream 7 tablet. Its nice little device, a proper Windows 8 tablet on Atom 1.3 cpu with 1Gb of RAM, these cost about $99

So Veracrypt is 3-4 minutes to start up. I appreciate you are tweaking the performance a little bit each release. I also have a 12 year old Windows XP laptop, 1Gb of RAM, Pentium 4 processor, as my clients will often be using old hardware which will also take a long time.

I'd love to know best practice to build my VC volumes for best performance.

I have the containers in AES format, which I assume is optimum, but I think its going to test my clients patience :(

appreciate any ideas

Yosef
Coordinator
May 22, 2015 at 9:34 PM
Hi Yosef,

For such low end machines, VeraCrypt key derivation will indeed take a lot of time which means that mounting and booting will be very long.
The encryption algorithm doesn't affect this as this is linked to the hash algorithm used and the number of iterations. Encryption algorithm impacts the read/write speed.

As you said, AES is the fastest encryption algorithm, so definitely, this is the one to use. For key derivation, use SHA-512 for 64-bit Windows and SHA-256 for 32-bit Windows.

I'm working now on the implementation of dynamic mode which will allow the manual selection of a lower number of iterations when the password used is very long. This will enable users to have a quick boot while maintaining security through the use of long and strong passwords. This feature has been delayed but I'm doing my best to make it available this weekend.
May 25, 2015 at 8:19 AM
Wow, great to hear that this feature is imminent.

Thank you very much for this Mounir, speed is definitely the most important factor for adoption among the non-security conscious mass.