This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

GPT disks: no UUID?

Topics: Technical Issues
May 13, 2015 at 11:00 PM
I have two external drives encrypted with VeraCrypt (at encryption time, I used 1.0f-1). one has Serpent(Twofish(AES)), the other Serpent(AES). neither one has a UUID. I'm on Linux, which may or may not be related...

I checked /dev/disk/by-uuid/, but nothing in that directory was a link to the drives or partitions that I used. I also want to point out that there is an entry in /dev/disk/by-partuuid/.

so, is this an intended flaw to hinder some detection? or is this just a defect?
Coordinator
May 15, 2015 at 11:08 PM
VeraCrypt doesn't handle /dev/disk declaration of volumes. This is something that is handled by the Linux Kernel and dm-crypt which VeraCrypt uses for mounting volumes.

From my understanding, by-partuuid identifies GPT partitions and by-uuid identifies the filesystem.
My tests shows that after mounting VeraCrypt volumes, there is always an entry in /dev/disk/by-uuid linked to dm-crypt mount point. So, you say that in your case, you don't have a by-uuid entry after mounting the drives? This is unheard of...which filesystem are you using for your VeraCrypt volumes? What Linux distribution are you using?

VeraCryptLinuxUUID

The by-partuuid entry is linked to the Kernel detection of your device. This is something that is done even before mounting the volume using VeraCrypt.
May 16, 2015 at 12:01 PM
I must have been very confused. I do now see that there is a link to ../../dm-3 and ../../dm-5. I don't know how I missed that.

I guess I expected an entry in by-uuid that linked to the same place as by-partuuid, but I understand now.

sorry for the confusion!