This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Windows 8, 8.1 & 10 Pre-Boot Utilities System Drive Encryption Compatability

Topics: Feature Requests, Technical Issues
May 7, 2015 at 1:20 PM
Edited May 7, 2015 at 1:21 PM
The last time I used truecrypt on Windows 8 I was unable to use the pre-boot repair utilities because of truecrypt. This problem has been documented in the past (I forget where) and discussed on Security Now. Has this been fixed in VeraCrypt? I ask because I'm about to upgrade a machine from 7 and am wondering if I'm going to have the same issue. I tried searching CodePlex for the answer but couldn't find it.

Thanks
May 7, 2015 at 2:33 PM
https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=FAQ
Note: If the system partition/drive is encrypted and you want to reinstall or upgrade Windows, you need to decrypt it first (select System > Permanently Decrypt System Partition/Drive). However, a running operating system can be updated (security patches, service packs, etc.) without any problems even when the system partition/drive is encrypted.
May 7, 2015 at 4:32 PM
Edited May 7, 2015 at 4:34 PM
This is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the new repair and recovery options in Windows 8 that did not work with TrueCrypt as they never supported Windows 8 in respect to these features.
May 11, 2015 at 8:06 AM
This is something that needs to be addressed and not taken lightly because support for these features were planned/stated for Truecrypt before it was abandoned.
May 11, 2015 at 3:52 PM
Edited May 11, 2015 at 3:56 PM
Hello Tom,

You can review the issues tickets and vote-up the tickets that are important to you. Please create a ticket if you do not see any tickets regarding your request.

Remember that VeraCrypt is freeware and is currently developed by Mounir in his free time from his day job and family life. Please contribute a monetary donation to VeraCrypt to show your appreciation to Mounir's efforts.

Kind Regards,
Enigma2Illusion