This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Cache Passwords In Driver Memory

Topics: Technical Issues
May 6, 2015 at 9:59 PM
Edited May 6, 2015 at 10:03 PM
I have a laptop with the following setup:

System drive encrypted with a unique password not used anywhere else.

2nd hard drive and two external hard drives encrypted that all share the same password.

3rd external hard drive that has its own unique password.

If I select the "Cache Passwords In Driver Memory" option in settings, will this allow me to decrypt the non-system drives when I login without typing any passwords?

And, is there anyway to decrypt the non-system drives from something veracrypt stores on those drives?

If the above is true, then I could boot my system without having to manually type the passwords in to decrypt my non-system drives. And I assume that if the passwords are cached in the host system's RAM, then no entity could decrypt my drives without the host, system's RAM. Is this correct?

If it is correct, then when I am in secure locations I can keep the passwords cached in RAM and when I need to transport the laptop, I can just uncheck the cache option in setting and flush the RAM. edit: and also check the option to "wipe cached passwords on exit".

Also, if the external drives cannot be cracked without the host system's RAM, then I can freely transport those drives with little worry.

Thanks in advance for any input.

VeraCrypt rocks.

Cheers