Cloud: Split File Containers into small files.

Topics: Feature Requests
Apr 17, 2015 at 9:09 PM
It would be amazing to be able to create file contaners which are split into multiple files for cloud storage.

Currently, Mac OS X offers the possibility of creating a file container such as TrueCrypt and now VeraCrypt, but they have an option which is called a "Sparse Disk Bundle", which is basically the same file container split in "bands" of 8Mbs each.

The advantage of this is that once I mount the volume, if I modify a file within the volume, only the "bands" which contained that file will be modified, preventing the whole container from being uploaded to the cloud just because of one file.

This would be a huge breakthrough to be able to protect one's data in a cloud service such as Dropbox or Google Drive.
Apr 25, 2015 at 9:14 AM
Great idea.

More easy than my proposal.

I'm searching for similar to "Sparse Disk Bundle" for win, but I don't found.
May 8, 2015 at 5:01 PM
May 8, 2015 at 9:30 PM
Edited May 11, 2015 at 4:30 PM
durk101 wrote:
Maybe is not a good idea.

See the warnings:

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=How%20to%20Back%20Up%20Securely
https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Volume%20Clones
That would be a user decision, and having an encrypted volume in a cloud doesn't mean that anyone would easily have repeated access. If that is the case, then the user might have a security problem protecting their cloud account.

It really depends on the use you wanna give your encrypted drive. As a standard user I just want to avoid any unauthorized user from obtaining any personal data from my cloud should there be a breach.

Remember that this adds an extra security layer to your cloud, which is better than no encryption at all
May 24, 2015 at 8:40 AM
See the issue #132
Nov 11, 2015 at 5:25 AM
bump
Dec 11, 2015 at 5:39 PM
Edited Dec 11, 2015 at 5:42 PM
Having the possibility to span a container across multiple files would be nice, but has nothing to do with cloud storage. Just pick a cloud storage with rsync support ;-) I sync my 10GB container using rsync and it is done within a few seconds. I sync to my own server, but there many affordable and some even free rsync servers out there. Unfortunately, mainstream cloud storages work simply by uploading the whole changed file and they do not inteligently compare the differences as rsync.

Btw as a workaround you can use encfs4win, I have used it with dropbox and it works quite good. Maybe it is not as secure as veracrypt (file sizes are visible), but at least we don't serve them our documents in plain text.
Dec 14, 2015 at 9:43 AM
At least DropBox uses Delta-Sync:

https://www.dropbox.com/business/sync-performance
Jan 19, 2016 at 8:00 AM
testoslav wrote:
Having the possibility to span a container across multiple files would be nice, but has nothing to do with cloud storage. Just pick a cloud storage with rsync support ;-)
You completely went off topic, the idea is not to find another cloud storage that supports something else, the idea is to be able to use any of the standard ones, like Dropbox or Google Drive.

If I have a veracrypt container of let's say, 20Gbs, which happens to be split into multiple files of smaller size, like 5Mbs. If I modify something within the 20Gbs container, only the disk sectors that were modified are the ones that will be re-uploaded to the cloud, rather than having to re-upload 20Gbs.

RandomNameforCode wrote:
At least DropBox uses Delta-Sync:

https://www.dropbox.com/business/sync-performance
I don't think the delta sync applies for any type of file. But I'll test anyways
Jan 19, 2016 at 8:53 PM
to me the whole idea, VC in cloud, sounds a bit like a "virgin prostitute" ... like wearing suit at the nudist beach..... sorry for the bad language lol
Oct 8, 2016 at 2:56 PM
Edited Oct 8, 2016 at 2:58 PM
I hope VC implements this feature, containers split into multiple files.

Re clouds, security, performance, etc: for my personal use, none of those are serious concerns. I am just uncomfortable with managing a 1 TB file.

Some hybrid with VMDK (split containers) + VC may work, but (a) such combo is not portable (no VMDK portable R+W tool), and (b) it's just easier to have both capabilities in a single program.