This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Mounting Multiple Favorites with f-2

Topics: Technical Issues
Apr 16, 2015 at 11:31 PM
I upgraded to version f-2, and put SHA-512 in the default PRF options. All of my Veracrypt volumes were created using SHA-512.

I have three Veracrypt favorite volumes on an external drive. When I connect the drive and "Mount Favorites," caching the password (it's the same for all volumes) and using the (now) default PRF SHA-512, the first volume mounts noticeably faster under f-2 than it did under f-1. However, the second and third take at least twice as long to mount as the first, as if it is still ignoring the default PRF and trying them all.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I misunderstanding the purpose of setting the default PRF?
Apr 17, 2015 at 4:04 PM
This is the expected behavior to allow successful mounting of favorite volumes that are using different hash (PRF) algorithms from the first mounted volume.

From the manual for the Temporary Cache password during "Mount Favorite Volumes" operations option:

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Program%20Menu

Temporary Cache password during "Mount Favorite Volumes" operations
Please note that since we can't assume that all favorites use the same PRF (hash), VeraCrypt uses Autodetection for the PRF of subsequent favorite volumes which means that the total mounting time will be slower compared to the individual mounting of each volume with the manual selection of the correct PRF.
Apr 17, 2015 at 11:21 PM
With great respect and gratitude for this program, why do it that way? What you should assume is that the user knows what he is doing when he goes to the trouble of specifying the default mount parameters, and that he wants them used for ALL volumes. If the preferred PRF doesn't work, THEN you can go ahead and use autodetect. If the user thinks that results in some volumes taking too long to mount, he can always change the PRF on them to match the preferred one (can't he?). That's better than being doomed to wait for autodetection for all but the first favorite volume, every single time.

Surely I'm not the only user who has many favorites on many different external drives. Surely you don't expect your users to mount the same favorites every time. Surely you didn't write the program so that it will fail if the first favorite mounted does not use the PRF specified as the default. So why not use the same process for all favorites --- try the preferred PRF first, and cycle through the rest if it doesn't work?

Am I completely misunderstanding the situation?