System encrypt 2 hard drives

Topics: Users Discussion
Mar 25, 2015 at 10:09 PM
Hello,
my system is splitted on 2 hard drives. (i only have one operating system)
Is VeraCrypt encrypting both when i encrypt my system or does it only encrypt the main C hard drive with my operating system on it?
If it only encrypts the main hard drive, how can i also encrypt/decrypt the other hard drive on logon/boot?

Greetings
Apr 1, 2015 at 12:37 AM
Edited Apr 1, 2015 at 12:38 AM
You have two physical hard drives, therefore VeraCrypt does not touch the other physical drives or partitions during system encryption. For system encryption, you have two options, encrypt the entire system drive including all other partitions on the system drive or only the OS partition which is the C drive.

You cannot encrypt the System Reserved partition or Windows will not boot.

Depending on your PC manufacturer, you may not want to encrypt recovery partitions or system tools partitions provided by the manufacturer.

You would encrypt the second hard drive using the same password as the system encryption. See the documentation regarding System Favorites.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=System%20Favorite%20Volumes
Apr 12, 2015 at 8:10 PM
Oh Thanks a lot,
for any reasons i did not pay attention to the favorite volumes..
Keep on going with your programm, it's going to be more and more important for all of us.
Apr 14, 2015 at 9:44 AM
Edited Apr 14, 2015 at 9:46 AM
would it be better to encrypt (the secound NOT system harddrive) it as one big partition or to encrypt the drive?

because when i encrypt the drive i will have the same letter as before. i like that. an with the system favorit volume option i will not recognize any "changes" or even more letters.

but when i "just" encrypt the drive as a partition, then will have to letters like D & E.

what would be better? security reasons or just for me?

greetings and thanks for your answers!
Apr 14, 2015 at 3:21 PM
Whether you chose to encrypt the partition or drive, you will first need to remove the Windows drive letter assignment before encrypting. Mount the encrypted volume to the preferred drive letter and save to System Favorites so the drive is mounted to the expected drive letter for each volume.

I prefer to encrypt the partition vs entire disk due to Windows OS will see the entire disk device as needing to be initialized. Sometimes Windows will perform the "helpful" task of initialize the unmounted encrypted drive without prompting you or consistently prompt you to format the entire disk device.

I have been using encrypted partitions for years using TrueCrypt without incident.