This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Licensing

Topics: Users Discussion
Mar 18, 2015 at 3:43 PM
For my understanding VeraCrypt still consists of parts of TrueCrypt that are under the TrueCrypt 3.1 Licence. ( It is not part of the pantheon of widely used open source licenses and is not a free software license according to the Free Software Foundation (FSF) license list)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueCrypt#License_and_source_model

Are there plans for resolving licence issues?
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2015 at 12:55 AM
The debat about the TrueCrypt license is very old and from my point of view it tends to be philosophical.

After reading it many times, it is clear to me that a derivative work can exist as long as it carries the TrueCrypt license. Many people in the Open Source community don't like this because they prefer something compatible with GPL, BSD and alike.

VeraCrypt carries the TrueCrypt license and this is not an issue at all. Changing to another license would require rewriting all the code, for Windows, Linux and MacOSX.
Such rewriting is a huge work and in order to achieve the same stability and list of features, the minimal budget estimate would be around 500K Dollars.

My personal experience in VeraCrypt showed me how complex such software can be and judging from the time I spent developing it and providing support to users, I think the real cost of a complete rewrite would be close to the million.

In the future, such rewrite will be welcomed especially on Windowd where much of the complexity exists (the least being system encryption) but it will take many years before it can be available.
Mar 19, 2015 at 1:19 PM
Ah, now I understand. Anyways thanks for this awesome piece of software.