This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Incorrect Parameter

Topics: Technical Issues
Mar 2, 2015 at 7:24 PM
Edited Mar 2, 2015 at 7:25 PM
Hi,

everytime when i try to add a volume to the favorites and I click "ok" on the opened window, a message appears, that says "incorrect parameter". Therefore it's impossible for me to add a volume to my favorites which is really annoying, because I've got a SSD and a Harddrive which contains my User-folder. So my PC is useless, if my second drive isn't mounted automatically. I also tried reinstalling the program.

I really hope that anyone could help me!
Mar 2, 2015 at 10:08 PM
Did you attempt to add it to the favorites when the volume was mounted?

Did you attempt to add the volume to Favorites or System Favorites?

Which OS are running?
Mar 3, 2015 at 9:45 AM
1.) Yes
2.) Yes, both, same problem.
3.) Windows 7
Mar 3, 2015 at 1:10 PM
Can you insert images into your next reply showing the error message and how the device/partition shows-up in the device selection list in VeraCrypt?

What is the version of VeraCrypt?

I am assuming that you have encrypted your SSD which contains the OS and you are trying to setup System Favorites to mount a volume on an external hard drive which contains your user folders during bootup of Windows. Both the encryption password for bootloader and the external drive are using the same password. Is that correct?

I know it is frustrating asking you more questions. I am trying to collect more information so the community can try to determine why you are having this issue.
Mar 3, 2015 at 2:25 PM
http://pbrd.co/1EekvNY
Message looks like this: http://cdn.windows7themes.net/pics/the-parameter-is-incorrect-error.jpg
Version is 1.0f-1.
They are using the same password.
Mar 3, 2015 at 2:32 PM
I am getting unsafe site warning for the first link you provided.

Using the forum tools, you can insert an image directly in your reply using the icon that looks like a square box with sunrise over a mountain inside the box.
Mar 3, 2015 at 2:41 PM
Edited Mar 3, 2015 at 2:42 PM
Mar 3, 2015 at 3:22 PM
With the D drive dismounted, can you check that Windows did not assign a drive letter to the unmounted volume in Disk Management which will show-up as a raw partition.

Please remove the drive letter in Disk Management for the unmounted volume from Windows using the Change Drive Letter, then remove.
Mar 3, 2015 at 3:56 PM
To remove the drive letter, I had to restart my computer and because I can't log in normally I had to boot into the safe mode. Whatever, I mounted the volume and tried to add it to favorites. I'm not sure if the problem still exists, because I dont' get the failure-message in safe mode, but when I click "ok" nothing happens - therefore it's likely that the problem is still there.
Mar 3, 2015 at 4:29 PM
...I can't log in normally I had to boot into the safe mode.
What happens when you attempt to logon without safe mode?
Mar 3, 2015 at 7:00 PM
PS: The drive letter you removed in Disk Management is probably the path that Windows is looking to find your user folders. You need to mount the volume to the same letter Windows was using so the OS knows where to find your user folders.
Mar 4, 2015 at 12:30 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
...I can't log in normally I had to boot into the safe mode.
What happens when you attempt to logon without safe mode?
It says something like: The registration of the service “user profile service” failed
Mar 4, 2015 at 12:31 PM
Enigma2Illusion wrote:
PS: The drive letter you removed in Disk Management is probably the path that Windows is looking to find your user folders. You need to mount the volume to the same letter Windows was using so the OS knows where to find your user folders.
I know, but the OS can't find anything if the drive is encrypted.
Mar 4, 2015 at 2:11 PM
Thank you for your replies. The error message you are getting logging on to your system was very important information.

I believe the problem is the VeraCrypt "Favorite Volumes.xml" file is in your user profile folder on the external hard drive which VeraCrypt needs to read at bootup to know what volumes to mount. Unfortunately, you moved the location of the Windows user profile from the C drive to the external drive which you encrypted.

Meaning, VeraCrypt cannot auto mount any other volumes at bootup since VeraCrypt cannot read its "Favorite Volumes.xml" file which is normally stored in the user profile on the C drive which is now available to VeraCrypt after the bootloader successful password is supplied.

On Windows 7, the Favorite Volumes.xml file would normally be located in:

C:\Users\<Windows Username Here>\AppData\Roaming\VeraCrypt

I do not see how to make VeraCrypt work in your setup when the user profile is not stored on the C drive.

You are going to need to move your user profile back to the C drive and configure the OS to use the C drive location instead of your external drive.
Mar 4, 2015 at 6:27 PM
First of all thank you for spending your time helping me!

There's only "Configuration.xml" in this folder, no "Favorite Volumes".
Mar 4, 2015 at 7:04 PM
First of all thank you for spending your time helping me!

There's only "Configuration.xml" in this folder, no "Favorite Volumes".
Is that on your C drive or the external drive or both?

I believe we had two issues. The first issue was Windows still had a drive letter assigned to the external drive volume which you have since removed. This prevented you from adding the volume to the favorites.

The second issue I have noted in my previous reply.
Mar 5, 2015 at 7:11 AM
It's on my second drive.

But I linked the Users folder to my C drive, so normally there should not be a problem.

And how do I get this "Favorite Volumes.xml"? I tried reinstalling it, but it hasn't worked yet.
Mar 5, 2015 at 11:54 AM
The "Favorite Volumes.xml" file is only created when you successfully add a volume to either Favorites or System Favorites.

Again, you are going to need to move your user profile files from the external drive back to the C drive and configure the OS to use the C drive location instead of your external drive. This will allow VeraCrypt to be able to read the "Favorite Volumes.xml" file during bootup since your OS is encrypted.
Mar 5, 2015 at 1:24 PM
There is not really enough free space left, so moving the folders would be a problem.

And I already configured the OS to use the C drive, because I linked the user folders to the C drive. And secondly if there is a "Configuration.xml" file in the Appdata-folder, the program should know the path, shouldn't it?
Mar 5, 2015 at 11:07 PM
I did not find a registry setting to the files which likely means the program is using OS environment variable APPDATA to locate the path to the VeraCrypt XML files which Windows defaults to the C drive for a given username.

The only idea I have is to for you to get another external disk drive so that you can mount the encrypted external drive and copy the data to the new drive unencrypted. Then reassign the Windows drive letter to the new unencrypted drive to the expected drive letter for your link. You probably will have to adjust the ownership and permissions.
Mar 7, 2015 at 10:03 AM
I finally found out what the problem was. Somehow, the link of my Users-folder to the C drive was deleted, when I encrypted my D drive. I just had to create a new link to my C drive. But this f****** s*** is still not working. Although my D drive is now a system favorite, it isn't mounted on startup. And when I go into safemode, it is not possible to mount it. After I enter my password, nothing happens. Any suggestions?
Mar 7, 2015 at 10:21 AM
And the location of the System Favorite.xml in my case is not AppData, but C:\Windows\SysWOW64 if that helps.
Mar 7, 2015 at 11:06 AM
Hallelujah, it finally works!!! I just had to assign any letter to my second drive, certainly except D, otherwise Veracrypt doesn't mount the volume. Thank you very much for your help!
Mar 7, 2015 at 12:44 PM
Excellent work Pulga!

I must correct a mistake I made when I said:
The "Favorite Volumes.xml" file is only created when you successfully add a volume to either Favorites or System Favorites.
This is incorrect as Pulga pointed out.

There are two favorite files stored in different directories. See the documentation section VeraCrypt System Files for locations of various files.

Strange that you can use any letter except the D letter. Does Windows Disk Management or Windows Explorer show the D letter assigned?
Mar 7, 2015 at 1:08 PM
No, I meant, it is possible to assign the D letter, but when I assign D to my second drive, it is not possible to mount it in Veracrypt with the letter D. Therefore I had to choose any other letter.