This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Does SSHD (Hybrid) disk can cause leaks?

Topics: Users Discussion
Feb 21, 2015 at 9:24 PM
Hi,
I use a SSHD disk (http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/solid-state-hybrid/desktop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/) and I just would like to know if it can cause leaks (on the 8gb NAND).
I don't know technically how this hard drive works but I'm afraid that uncrypted datas can go on the NAND and that the NAND is not encrypted.

Thanx
Feb 22, 2015 at 3:58 PM
Looking at the Seagate Adaptive Memory Technology and scrolling down near the bottom is a diagram on the left showing at a high level the architecture.

The host is your PC. Since the encryption/decryption is performed in memory on the PC and all read/writes are encrypted, the NAND should have encrypted files which is controlled by Seagate's controller. The NAND probably uses wear leveling.

However, if you have accessed any sensitive data on an existing SSHD before encrypting the drive, any data will still remain unencrypted in the NAND even after you encrypt the SSHD until the Seagate controller overwrites that part of the memory with encrypted data as part of its most frequently used data or programs.

The above is my analysis and should not be considered correct. You will need to contact Seagate to confirm my analysis and if encryption will negatively impact their Adaptive Memory Technology from caching frequently accessed blocks of encrypted data.