This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Google Drive/Dropbox questions

Topics: Users Discussion
Feb 20, 2015 at 7:13 PM
Are there any issues I should be aware of by simply storing encrypted volume(s) on Google Drive or Dropbox? I understand the issues associated with accessing them over the internet via a web browser but what about just storing them there and downloading the encrypted files to one of several computers I use regularly (work, home, etc) and then decrypt them?

Thanks!
Feb 20, 2015 at 8:03 PM
Can you clarify how you plan to use VeraCrypt's file container?

Are you going to mount the file container directly from the cloud or are you coping/downloading the file container to your work or home PC to mount locally?
Feb 20, 2015 at 8:23 PM
I was considering the latter, that is, downloading it and mounting locally but now I realize GDrive/DBox are not going to work. Neither will realize I've changed an encrypted file because the container date is always the date it was created. Just so you have all the facts, I use Truecrypt and am considering switching to Veracrypt.

What I've been doing is emailing the container as an attachment to my gmail account and then downloading it when I need it. It works because I know the email with the latest date is the current file. Sorry to bother you and thanks for your help!

--
Direct: 912-464-7475
eMail: [email removed]
RE/MAX First Coast of Georgia Realty
1901 Osborne Rd
St Marys, GA 31558

This electronic message transmission contains information from RE/MAX First Coast of GA Realty, which may be confidential or privileged. This information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone at 912-289-5546 or by electronic mail at [email removed]

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:36 PM
Shhh wrote:
I was considering the latter, that is, downloading it and mounting locally but now I realize GDrive/DBox are not going to work. Neither will realize I've changed an encrypted file because the container date is always the date it was created.
Actually you can configure both TrueCrypt and VeraCrypt to update the timestamp on the file container.

In TrueCrypt and VeraCrypt main window, go to Settings > Preferences, and look for "Preserve modification timestamp of file containers" and uncheck the box. By unchecking this option, you are telling TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt to allow the timestamp of the file container to be updated.
Feb 21, 2015 at 2:07 PM
Thanks!

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:07 PM
Hi,

for some reason I uncheck the "Preserve modification timestamp of file containers" but the file keeps not changing.

Do I need to create the container again in order for that change to happen?

thanks,
LR
Apr 15, 2015 at 8:23 PM
Hello LR,

You should not need to recreate the file container. With the file container mounted, did you add/modify a file to the mounted file container volume with the uncheck box?

Did you unmount file container and then check the timestamp of the file container to see if it changed?
Apr 15, 2015 at 8:38 PM
Hi Enigma,

Yes I did all of the above, but file still as same date of creation...

Does force dismount could had someting to do with it?

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 12:24 PM -0700, "Enigma2Illusion" <[email removed]> wrote:

Hello LR,

You should not need to recreate the file container. With the file container mounted, did you add/modify a file to the mounted file container volume with the uncheck box?

Did you unmount file container and then check the timestamp of the file container to see if it changed?
Apr 15, 2015 at 9:12 PM
Edited Apr 15, 2015 at 9:14 PM
Yes, a force dismount may have prevented Windows from properly saving the files within the file container.

I just performed a quick test and the timestamp changed just mounting and unmounting the file container.

I first created the file container while the box was checked. Open the new file container and copied a file into the volume.
Dismounted the volume and the file container timestamp was the same which is what I expected.
Uncheck the box, mounted the volume and then unmount the volume. No changes were made to the files and no new files were added to the file container. The timestamp changed which is what I expected.

Can you repeat this test on your system to see if you get the same results?

In Windows Explorer, did you refresh the directory listing using F5?
Apr 16, 2015 at 10:30 AM
thanks,

it's working know, I think it was the /q that I had on the comand line. Now I have /q preferences and when he quits he checks if the preserve time stamp is checked or not, before I think with just /q the comand line would overide any preference.

Cheers.
Miguel

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:27 PM
Hi,

I've a trouble with encryption container.
I want to have my files in Dropbox in encrypted state, so I created VeraCrypt container. Then I moved Dropbox (empty) folder into it. Then I expected that all my files in Dropbox folder and in my Dropbox cloud are encrypted. For a test I copied into the folder a text file, however when I downloaded a just copied text file through another device without VeraCrypt I could read content of that file.
Now it turns out that my files are decrypted at least in Dropbox cloud.
Please tell me what can I do for protect files from unauthorized reading in the cloud?

Sorry for my English :)

thanks,
Dimm
Aug 29, 2015 at 4:02 PM
You have to synchronize the entire size of the unmounted VeraCrypt file container to Dropbox.

You cannot mount the file container and synchronize the files within the file container to Dropbox since the files will synchronize unencrypted.

In VeraCrypt main window, go to Settings > Preferences, and look for "Preserve modification timestamp of file containers" and uncheck the box. By unchecking this option, you are telling VeraCrypt to allow the timestamp of the file container to be updated. When you unmount the file container, the timestamp will be updated allowing Dropbox to recognize that file container has been modified.
Aug 29, 2015 at 4:27 PM
Thank you for fast answer.
It's clear.
Maybe do you know any tool for my idea?
Aug 29, 2015 at 4:32 PM
Perhaps other members can answer your question. You can Google search for file level encryption to see if some other software would fit your needs.
Aug 29, 2015 at 4:38 PM
Thanks!