This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

More support for different File Managers under Linux (multiple versions of VeraCrypt needed.

Topics: Feature Requests
Feb 12, 2015 at 9:58 PM
Edited Feb 13, 2015 at 12:42 PM
Regarding future versions of VeraCrypt:
I would like to see more support for different File Managers and compatibility with dependency’s under desktop environments like LXDE, Genome3.. ect. Unless however that’s already been addressed?

What I’m referring to is. I use to use Ubuntu years ago and it supported TrueCrypt. Then when later versions of Ubuntu came out the desk environment was changed to Genome 3 and nautilus FM was no longer used. TrueCrypt needed dependencies found in nautilus, unless you could hack the desktop environment, which is beyond me.

I really liked LXDE Debian because it was light weight, fast and secure as was Lubuntu. But it lacked the required dependency’s to run TrueCrypt because it was missing nautilus. You could install nautilus under LXDE or Gnome3 in order to get TrueCrypt to work but it would often break other dependency’s. So I switched to using Debian Squeeze 7.X-amd64-gnome-desktop which came with the nautilus FM .

Would it be possible to make a few versions of VeriCrypt for Linux to support different file managers?
I really want to get away from Windows both for security and because I don’t like Microsoft's new mass-marketing - mass consumption (Apple) approach of coming out with a new and changed OS every 6 months. And for other obvious reasons related to security of closed source.

Advanced Thanks

NOTE. I don't know about the new versions of Debian, but I have Truecrypt 7.1a installed under Debian 7.4 Gnome and it works great. It also comes with the nautilus file manager.
I'm assuming VeraCrypt should work also if it's the same base code.
http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/7.4.0-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/
Feb 14, 2015 at 10:33 PM
This has been addressed: https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/a2f8d98bf09c4b56002d365d70e4a760aaebfcbe

Basically, when not under Gnome or KDE, we'll use the utility xdg-open which opens the default file manager of the system. This utility is made available by Linux distributions that don't use Gnome/KDE (Debian LXDE or Linux Mint 17).

Concerning Ubuntu, Nautilus is still present in the latest versions 14.04 and 14.10 and it works with VeraCrypt. Did you have an error with VeraCrypt or only with TrueCrypt.
Feb 14, 2015 at 11:57 PM
Edited Feb 15, 2015 at 12:02 AM
idrassi wrote:
Concerning Ubuntu, Nautilus is still present in the latest versions 14.04 and 14.10 and it works with VeraCrypt. Did you have an error with VeraCrypt or only with TrueCrypt.
Hi idrassi.
no, I've never tried VeraCrypt under Linux. However, Truecrypt ran great except when I ran a version of Ubuntu at the time when the developers stopped using Nautilus. There were a few issues with the file manager window closing on me unexpectedly. This is probably because I installed Nautilus under ubuntu with Gnome3 and I'm guessing I broke dependency's. But TC has ran great under Debian Gnome 2 I think they're still using. Thanks for the info on the latest Debian versions, I'll test VC when I get some time. I really like Debian, seems to be one of the more stable distros. I even ran a headless debian server for the game ArmA II a while back. It was very fast and stable.

As always, Thank you for sharing your knowledge idrassi in light of your busy schedule coding!

On a side note:
It amazes me how people (such as you) can connect such intricate components via programming (which is very difficult by itself) but the math involved with some of this stuff seems so over whelming. My gosh, I think to myself, how do you learn such complex math, and then to apply it to programming. It blows my mind. It's easy for the average person to make simple mistakes, but I think of how much more easily it is to make a mistake when coding. There is so much to think about. I started learning PhP a few years ago, and XHTML which is nothing compared to what you guys do. Long story short. I really respect what you guys do, and do so well.
Feb 19, 2015 at 1:02 PM
Edited Feb 19, 2015 at 1:04 PM
Update

I tested VeraCrypt 1.0f.1 under Debian 7.8.0-amd64-gnome while running in the latest VirtualBox-4.3.22 for Windows (at the time of this writing). VeraCrypt ran great! No issues at all.

So if it can run this good under a VM, it will run outside a VM just fine with this Linux distro