This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Moved from TrueCrypt, mounting is slower

Topics: Technical Issues, Users Discussion
Feb 8, 2015 at 6:01 PM
Hi there,
I was using truecrypt for a long time to encrypt a virtual partition. I use it everyday, mount/ dismount couple times a day. I switched to Veracrypt because of the support. When I mounted my partition in TrueCrypt mode it was fast, but I decided to turn it into veracrypt image for safety. I used the "Set Header Key Derivation Algorithm" method described in faq. Conversion took a while but worked. Now whenever I mount my partition it takes like 10 times more time than it used to with truecrypt image. Is it because the encryption alghoritm is harder to solve, or is it an optimalisation issue?
It is a great software and I am happy that you guys decided to carry on what truecrypt used to be. I would aprichiate any help.
Coordinator
Feb 8, 2015 at 6:22 PM
Hi,

Thank you for the feedback and your kind words.

The extra time you are observing when mounting VeraCrypt volumes is due to the increased encryption security and it can't be made smaller.
The only things that you can do, if you are not doing so yet, is to avoid PRF auto-detection and to manually select the correct PRF in the password dialog to avoid losing time checking unrelated PRFs (in the example below, SHA-512 is chosen)
Feb 8, 2015 at 6:34 PM
Thank you for fast answer. I tried selecting my encryption mode, but the application doesnt remember my selection so in the end changing it by hand gives pretty much the same time as automatic :P. It doesnt bother me to much though.
Feb 9, 2015 at 2:27 PM
Hello bremenpl,

There is a request to save the preferred hash with the default setting of Autodetection in the ticket below that you can vote-up.

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/workitem/61