System encryption with Norton

Topics: Users Discussion
Jan 27, 2015 at 9:35 PM
I havent really found anything about this and I am spooked, so;

Norton is causing PCs to crash when trying to use a Volume, but whats with system encryption? Will everything work normaly when I encrypt the system or will Norton cause problems?
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2015 at 3:19 AM
I don't have an answer since I'm not a Norton user but a conservative approach would be to avoid using Norton products alongside system encryption until Symantec publishes a fix. Their workaround of disabling AutoProtect may be a solution but it may degrade the overall protection of the system against threats.

TrendMicro seems to suffer also from the same issue. They both started exhibiting these issues after Microsoft issued December Windows updates. I guess both TrendMicro and Symantec were using from unsupported mechanisms in their kernel code and when Microsoft started forbidding this for security reasons, their products started crashing when encryption is used.
Other antivirus manufacturer don't have these issues so they both definitely need to rewrite their code to implement a more conformant protection mechanism.
Jan 28, 2015 at 9:30 PM
Ok, thanks, I will most likely switch to Kaspersky then.
Anyway, lets assume I already had encrypted the system before using Norton security, would that have affected the system after installing it? I dont see a reason why it should, since it would be integrated into the encryption. Nobody seems to be complaining about this too. I mean, fuck ups by Microsoft (so many of them) and other companys would speak against encryption then, so I wonder what you think?
Jan 28, 2015 at 9:43 PM
Here is the thread Mounir posted in a different thread.

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/long-story-norton-bsod-me-when-i-use-truecrypt#comments

The issue impacts only users of Windows 8.X and Norton 2015 version.

FYI: Kaspersky does not uninstall without causing issues with keyboard and mouse on Windows. Google search to see the complaints.
Feb 3, 2015 at 7:05 PM
Ok, thanks for the help.