This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Questions about testing Veracrypt on existing truecrypt volumes

Topics: Users Discussion
Jan 11, 2015 at 8:57 AM
Before deciding to convert I would like to be able to test veracrypt without affecting my truecrypt volumes. If I open a truecrypt volume (normal or hidden) using veracrypt to see how it works would I be able to leave the volume working with Truecrypt (ie not convert it)

As an example if I were to convert a 500gb volume roughly how much slower than truecrypt would it be to encrypt / decrypt the volume. I understand that veracrypt has enhanced security but in my experience this often comes at a price. My security needs are not great and I originally chose truecrypt because it took no more than a few seconds to decrypt a whole drive whereas other encryption programs tended to be much slower. At the moment truecrypt is working fine for me on Windows 8.1 but I have yet to test it on my virtual installation of 10.1
Jan 11, 2015 at 2:29 PM
gbswuk wrote:
Before deciding to convert I would like to be able to test veracrypt without affecting my truecrypt volumes. If I open a truecrypt volume (normal or hidden) using veracrypt to see how it works would I be able to leave the volume working with Truecrypt (ie not convert it)
The developer of VeraCrypt Mounir will need to answer your question above since I am not sure if VeraCrypt converts the headers to the VeraCrypt format when mounting TrueCrypt volumes.

As an example if I were to convert a 500gb volume roughly how much slower than truecrypt would it be to encrypt / decrypt the volume. I understand that veracrypt has enhanced security but in my experience this often comes at a price. My security needs are not great and I originally chose truecrypt because it took no more than a few seconds to decrypt a whole drive whereas other encryption programs tended to be much slower. At the moment truecrypt is working fine for me on Windows 8.1 but I have yet to test it on my virtual installation of 10.1
There is no difference in the speed encrypt / decrypt the volume. The only difference you will notice is the initial mounting of the volume takes longer due to VeraCrypt's high iteration count used on the hashes during mounting of the volume.
Jan 11, 2015 at 2:50 PM
Yes it is possible just to "mount" your TC volumes. It will not "convert" anything by just mounting the volume.
Jan 11, 2015 at 6:37 PM
yeah it worked for me also

good idea to have teh backwards compatability built in