problem during encrypt non system drive

Topics: Technical Issues
Jan 8, 2015 at 7:50 AM
Hi,

I began encryption yesterday of an extern drive (250gb) with already data. I let the PC perform during the night and unfortunately pc reboot after windows update and now the volume creation wizard cannot resume interrupted process. Can i recover my data or continue process?
Thanks
Coordinator
Jan 8, 2015 at 10:29 PM
Hi,

As written in the warning that is always displayed before starting the in-place encryption, if power is lost or a reboot occur, data maybe corrupt or lost. That's why it is advised to make copies before such operation.

So now your drive is not readable using Windows?
Did you the menu "Volumes -> Resume Interrupted Process"? Normally it should find your drive as it looks for the header which is written right the beginning of the encryption process. So, you should be able to resume the process but most certainly some data was lost because of the unexpected reboot.

If your drive is not found even with the above menu, then something really wrong happened to your drive that made even the volume header that was written at the end of the drive unreadable. If this is the case, then I'm afraid there is nothing that can be done...
Jan 9, 2015 at 7:41 AM
Hi,

Thank you very much for your answer. The problem is resolved. For me the process wasn't finished but in reallity it was done. So when i try "Volumes -> Resume Interrupted Process", the wizard didn't found any process and it was normal. I tried to mount the volume and it's ok.
Thanks again.