This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

New User Needs Advice

Topics: Users Discussion
Dec 13, 2014 at 4:30 AM
I have a few questions.

Will Veracrypt open Truecrypt volumes?

I use Kubuntu and have downloaded the setup.tar.bz2 file and the corresponding signature file.
  1. How can I check the setup file for validity?
  2. How can I install the programme under Kubuntu?
  3. If I change my mind, how can I uninstall the programme?
Thank you.
Dec 13, 2014 at 12:28 PM
No VeraCrypt will not currently open TrueCrypt volumes.

I don't use Linux but I will have a go at your questions :)

1 You check for validity by using the PGP signature file.

2 This is a Linux question not a specific VeraCrypt one.

3 You won't change your mind, VeraCrypt is the best, free encryption program available. It is more secure than TrueCrypt and is actively being maintained and improved all the time.

If you are even remotely interested in security then VeraCrypt is the correct choice.

Enjoy it !
Dec 13, 2014 at 1:05 PM
Thank you for responding.

The problem is that I have some Trucrypt volumes that I would like to use. So I need to be able to open them.

I have gpg on my Linux system but don't know haw to use it.

I have the Veracrypt set file.tar.bz2; setup tar.bz2 signature file; and the pgp public key.asc file - note approximate names.

Can you advise?

PS. When I login to this site it is not obvious to me how I get from the login page to this discussion board. Can you advise
Dec 13, 2014 at 1:15 PM
I suggest you try VeraCrypt for a while. Make some new small volumes and play with it.

You can run both Truecrypt and Veracrypt alongside each other until you are ready to make the jump.

I have a lot of data, I mean a lot which was all TrueCrypt encrypted. I am well into the process of converting all my disks to veraCrypt. If I can make the effort then so can you :)

As I say, try them both together for a while, get used to VeraCrypt and then make the switch. To give you some encouragement, I don't consider my Truecrypt disks secure after trying VeraCrypt :)

For GPG do...

gpg --verify <file>.sig <file>

Save this to your browser favourites...

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/discussions

Use it to log in and you should be able to find this discussion board.
Coordinator
Dec 13, 2014 at 9:57 PM
Hi anon_private,
  1. L0ck gave the gpg command to use in order to verify the signature. Before that you have to download VeraCrypt public key (https://www.idrix.fr/VeraCrypt/VeraCrypt_PGP_public_key.asc) and import this to your system. Here are detailed steps :
    • Check that the fingerprint of the public key is 993B7D7E8E413809828F0F29EB559C7C54DDD393: gpg --with-fingerprint VeraCrypt_PGP_public_key.asc
    • If the fingerprint is the expected one, import the public key: gpg --import VeraCrypt_PGP_public_key.asc
    • Verify the signature of the Linux setup archive (here for version 1.0e): gpg --verify veracrypt-1.0e-setup.tar.bz2.sig veracrypt-1.0e-setup.tar.bz2
  2. Under Kubuntu, decompress the archive veracrypt-1.0e-setup.tar.bz2. It will give you 4 files, that correspond to each possible configuration as explained below. Open Terminal and navigate to the directory where the files were extracted. Then execute the correct file using sudo. For example, if you are running 64-bit Kubuntu and you want to use VeraCrypt GUI, type: sudo ./veracrypt-1.0e-setup-gui-x64 . Follow the instructions to install VeraCrypt.
    • veracrypt-1.0e-setup-gui-x86: for 32-bit Linux with GUI
    • veracrypt-1.0e-setup-console-x86: for 32-bit Linux without GUI
    • veracrypt-1.0e-setup-gui-x64: for 64-bit Linux with GUI
    • veracrypt-1.0e-setup-console-x64: for 64-bit Linux without GUI
  3. You can uninstall VeraCrypt at any moment by typing the following command in Terminal: sudo veracrypt-uninstall.sh