This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Click, Menu and Window Reduction.

Topics: Feature Requests
Dec 10, 2014 at 5:18 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Come on Enigma2Illusion, you will like this one :)

We have recently been requesting adding things to VC when we should also perhaps consider what could be removed.

I notice in the drop down text menu’s there are some duplicated options, even between the text drop down options themselves.

These options are further duplicated when combined with the graphical buttons on the main window. Mount, dismount and create new volume for example.

This may be overwhelming to new users and it does create something of a maze. I have never been a fan of multiple pop up windows on any program.

As an example of what I mean ....

To mount a volume using the main GUI the user has to ....

Click select file.

Click the volume

Click open

Return to the main window.

Click Mount

New pop up window

If the user has used keyfiles they have to click keyfiles

New pop up window

User can drag and drop or again press "Add files"

If the user requires any other option than a standard mount they have to press yet another button.

Mount Options.

Select and press OK

Returned back to password box.

Type password

As you can see this is something of a maze for the user and too many clicks.

Can we thrash out a better, more minimalist way to achieve this please ?

Personally I love the GUI's where it is basically like a form one single window. The user simply selects the relevant options and presses 1 OK button.

So in the case above, the user clicks Mount Volume and all options are laid out in one neat, logical manner.
Dec 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM
I agree that the current GUI is not friendly at all, especially for the new generation of users who are accustomed to modern UI and simplistic ways to interact with programs (like in Android and iOS).

I'm no expert on User Interface design so I don't think I can personally contribute anything good from this side. Technically, this would mean a complete rewrite of the GUI code which is a good thing because the current code is ugly and difficult to maintain (it was written in the 90's style, directly in WIN32, no MFC, no WTL at the time).

This one will be a long term feature...
Dec 13, 2014 at 1:23 PM
OK Thank you for the reply.

Can I ask exactly what it is you need a GUI coder to be able to do and what skill set they need ?

I will try to find someone to help with this.
Dec 13, 2014 at 11:21 PM
On the technical side, the best GUI approach would be to harmonize the code between Windows, Linux and MacOSX through the use wxWidgets for coding the GUI. WxWidgets is already used by VeraCrypt under Linux/MacOSX

So, the GUI coder should be familiar with wxWidgets or at least be prepared to learn wxWidgets and its specifics. Apart from that, good skills in user interface design are important. Not everybody is able to develop a friendly GUI.
Dec 18, 2014 at 2:53 PM
I have found just the right person. :)

Details to be sent later in e-mail.