This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Possible bug or problem :)

Topics: Technical Issues
Dec 9, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Edited Dec 9, 2014 at 10:57 AM
I understand this is a Beta release so I am not complaining. :)

I decided to test VC encrypting the entire system disk of my old laptop. The laptop runs XP-Pro Service Pack 3. The laptop was encrypted with Truecrypt.

I decrypted the entire disk.

Installed VeraCrypt Setup 1.0f-BETA2.exe (Second edition)

Format /n option was used and I went through the usual process of encrypting the system disk.

During the test phase when VC reboots "before" continuing to encrypt the entire disk I received an error message.

"The instruction at 0x0042d37a referenced memory at 0x0000002d the memory could not be read."

As far as I know there is nothing physically wrong with the laptop and I have not experienced problems before when using Truecrypt.

In the spirit of adventure I clicked ok on the warning box and decided to continue, I went to resume encryption and it is doing that now. :)

Thanks and I will let you know if it manages to encrypt.
Dec 9, 2014 at 1:24 PM
Just an update to this.

As mentioned I clicked ok and decided to continue to try to encrypt.

It seems as if the drive encrypted successfully. Not sure what the error message was about.

I'll take the drive out and look at it with WinHex to make sure it has actually encrypted.
Coordinator
Dec 9, 2014 at 1:45 PM
Thank for your feedback on this test.

Which process gave the error you mentioned? Was it VeraCrypt? In the Windows EventViewer, it should be possible to find which process had this error and also know which module caused this.

I'm sure the encryption is OK because it is handled by the device driver and if a crash happened there, you would have had a BSOD.
Dec 9, 2014 at 6:27 PM
I took a look with WinHex and the drive does indeed look fully encrypted :)

Oh dear, you are not going to be pleased with me. I don't have EventViewer logs :( Being a paranoid sort I disabled that a long time ago.

There was no Blue Screen of Death :)

As this laptop has run trouble free for sometime and I only received this error during the test phase of VC then I simply assumed it was VC related.

I have restarted a few times since and not experienced it again. One theory is could it be TrueCrypt ? TC remains installed and it was the first boot since decrypting the system. Could that be it ?

Anyway, if I am the only person to experience this then it must be local to my system. When the next beta is out I will do another full decrypt and re-encrypt and see if it does it again if you like ?

Thanks.
Coordinator
Dec 9, 2014 at 10:17 PM
My opinion is that the crash in unrelated to VeraCrypt. It could be anything so as you said another test with the next release will be more helpful.
Dec 10, 2014 at 1:42 PM
Agreed, I have rebooted this laptop many times since and not experienced it again.

I am tempted to say it was probably because it was the first boot after decrypting with Truecrypt and the fact Truecrypt was still installed. I wonder if VC and Truecrypt were both fighting to lock something ?

Looking forward to the next beta, hopefully I will remember to update this thread.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the false alarm.