This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

password on external hard drive

Topics: Technical Issues
Dec 1, 2014 at 4:26 PM
Edited Dec 1, 2014 at 4:27 PM
Hello, how can I encrypt external hard drive when is a lot of files ?
I search for the tut., and I found only in this page and this beginner tutorial is only for format and create new volume.. I need encrypt and create password for a existing hard drive with lot of video documents.

Anyone can help me ?

Thanks a lot!
Coordinator
Dec 1, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Edited Dec 2, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Hi,

As described at the end of the "Beginer's tutorial" page, in order to encrypt a partition, follow steps 1, 2 and 3 but in step 3 choose option "2" and follow the wizard instructions.

Since you already have data on your drive, you must choose "Encrypt partition is place". Beware that this process can take a long time and if there a power outage or any other interruption, your data may be lost for ever. You must either backup your data temporary or ensure that the process won't be abruptly interrupted.
Of course, you can pause the process and resume it late but for that you have to click on the "Defer" button.

Here is a step by step illustration on how to do this. I advice you to test this on a USB key before doing it on the real hard drive in order to see by yourself how things are done in this case.

Step1:

Step2:

Step3:

Step4:

Step5:

Step6:

Step7:

Step8:

Step9:

Step10:

Step11:

Step12:

Step13:

Step14:

Step15:
The encryption is progressing. You can pause by clicking the "Defer" button.
Dec 3, 2014 at 1:19 AM
Oh, thank you very much! In next days I try it on USB.

I have a last one question, if I encrypt the data on ex. hdd, can I watch this, move to pc, or move NEW files to encrypt hdd?

THANKS a lot
Coordinator
Dec 3, 2014 at 6:52 AM
When the external hard drive is encrypted, you have to mount it explicitly in VeraCrypt using the password.
After that, you can copy any files to it and they are encrypted automatically. And when you copy files from it to the PC, they are automatically decrypted.

Once you start testing with the USB drive, you'll be more comfortable with all these operations.
Feb 9, 2015 at 12:00 PM
Hi , im new to veracrypt could you please help me with how to set password in portable HD. i have crated the two partitions on portable HD and need to use Veracrypt on 200 GB partition which i have created in portable drive. so again and again it is going through formatting process
Feb 9, 2015 at 2:21 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2015 at 2:34 PM
At step 12 from the posts above, what did you select for the Wipe Mode?

Are you creating a file container on the 200 GB partition or are you selecting the 200 GB partition as shown in steps 4 and 5?
Feb 9, 2015 at 3:12 PM
yes please help me with this i have created two partition on my portable HD and one partition has 200GB so as per steps i have formatted the partiton (200GB) and from the veracrypt assign a partiton and able mount it but thing is when i plugged in HD it shows 200GB is there and able to format it so what is the point if its simply allow to format it please help i can provide you remote session if you want im fedup with the process now.
Feb 9, 2015 at 3:47 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2015 at 3:56 PM
To make sure I understand your issue, the problem is not being able to encrypt the partition. The issue is when you plugin the external HD drive again, Windows prompts you to format the 200 GB partition. Is that the issue?

If that is the issue, this can be solved by performing the following steps:

1) Dismiss/Close the Windows dialog box asking to format.
2) Do not mount the 200 GB partition in VeraCrypt.
3) In Windows, use the Disk Management (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management)
4) Right click the 200 GB raw partition (Windows will see this as a raw partition) and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths, and then Remove.
Feb 10, 2015 at 4:08 AM
i have encrypted the partition and done everything. but after i plugged the HD on machine it shows that 200GB partition and its freezed. when i double click it asked to format and allowing it to format it. so someone can format itl what is the point ?
Feb 10, 2015 at 9:23 AM
Well, if I'm right your problem is easy to solve:
  • you don't have to click on the icon of the partition, you have to mount it
  • open VeryCrypt, select the volume/partition and the drive letter
  • click mount
  • enter the password
  • now you can use the partition
... and to avoid problems, before you mount your partition, remove the drive letter if there is one for the encrypted partition so you won't accidentally prompted by windows to format it...
Feb 10, 2015 at 3:28 PM
thanks genius ... :)