This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Size Limitation For Creating A Hidden Volume?

Topics: Technical Issues
Nov 29, 2014 at 4:09 AM
VC 1.0e, Kubuntu 14.10 (all up to date), 128 Gig flash drive.

I've partitioned this thumb drive into an 8.01 Gig unencrypted partition and a 108.37 Gig partition with which I've tried creating a hidden volume. Everything seems to go well until its time to examine the outer volume and check usage.

The outer volume format goes fine. I open the outer volume, which is mapped as, let's say "/media/grumpy/3BB2-EE3C".

I copy some files to the outer volume (about 5 gig). It finishes successfully.

I click "Next" and I get the following error:

"device-mapper:removeicotl
on veracrypt1 failed: Device or resource busy
Command failed"

And that's where it sits. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a size limit for outer and/or hidden containers?

Thanks,
Da Grump
Coordinator
Nov 29, 2014 at 6:56 PM
There is no size limit of the outer container. For the hidden container, it is limited by the size of free space left after data is written to the outer volume.

This error is most probably caused by the fact that even if the copy seems to have finished, it is not in reality because Linux has just put the data in the drive cache and it is flushing the data in the background. This is how operating systems handle handle writing data to drives and that why you always have to click "eject" before removing a USB key for example.

Maybe waiting a little longer before clicking next can solve the issue. The command "sync" can also be helpful to flush all buffered data to the disk.

Did you try this?