This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

System drive encrypted...latency issues? and SSD wear leveling?

Topics: Users Discussion
Nov 25, 2014 at 6:08 PM
I am curious if anyone has encrypted their system drive. I am curious on the performance hit in regards to latency and snappiness of the OS. With this assume that CPU performance isn't an issue. Like you have a 4.7+GHz IB/HW with 4-8 Cores.

So does encryption interfere with snappiness? If so why? Is it CPU issue or an inherent issue of software encryption no matter computer performance.

Does this apply to all levels of encryption like AES-Twofish-Serpent?

How does it affect SSDs wear leveling or is that not an issue?
Nov 25, 2014 at 7:17 PM
On a modern PC you won't notice any speed loss with WDE.

I have used WDE for years on some old PC's and to be honest I still didn't notice any difference. Even if there was a slowdown I would value my security over speed any day.

The only speed issue you will see is the initial hashing of the password when you very first boot up. Don't worry about it though, the longer it takes the more secure the encryption program is :)

Once booted, you won't know it's encrypted.

The more algorithms you use will have some effect, but again on a modern PC it is very unlikely you will notice anything. I think you would have to be testing with analysing software to be noticing anything, day to day use unlikely :)

If you want strong security which is also fast use the Twofish algo on it's own.

No issue I am aware of with SSD's.
Nov 25, 2014 at 7:50 PM
I'll have to find some benchmarking software that looks at latency and test with and without encryption to see how it works.
Nov 25, 2014 at 8:35 PM
OK, it would be useful if you posted your results for others to see. :)
Nov 25, 2014 at 8:53 PM
If i get time over Christmas break i'll try