This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

No support for GUID Partition

Topics: Feature Requests, Users Discussion
Nov 5, 2014 at 9:07 AM
Edited Nov 5, 2014 at 4:04 PM
Well as i suspected and sadly disappointed i downloaded veracrypt chose the wizard for encrypt entire system drive (whole disk) and get exactly the same error i always get from truecrypt and any other FREE encryption program, I am running windows 8 nowadays (new computer) more or less What I do not understand is why only paid programs have at this stage gotten around that problem of supporting partitions that are GUID (GPT) ?

Truecrypt run beautifully on windows 7 with it and well the only other thing i found that works was jeticos bestcrypt, i tried it as a free trial and it supports GUID no fuss and so easy.....however I do not wish to pay 100 USD for something that can be for free. Unless i am wrong i know of no FREE encryption program that will support GUID for whole disk encryption?

would love to know if and when this feature would be available,i would be truly grateful.

cheers qaz
Nov 5, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Well qaz, yours has to be the most petulant and ungrateful post I have had the misfortune to read.

As you admit yourself VeraCrypt is "FREE", only the most conceited individual would be "appalled" at the omission of a feature you demand.

You ask "why can you guys not get around that problem of supporting partitions that are GUID (GPT) ?". I suggest you spend the time you take whimpering about lack of support to write a full and detailed elucidation on how to incorporate the feature.

You say you do not wish to pay $100 for something which can be provided to you for free, however as you confess, no such software exists for free.

Perhaps you can explain why you believe you are entitled to write in such a way, whilst also elaborating on the implementation of GPT.

Perhaps things would progress in the manner you so desperately crave if you made a trivial donation half that of competing software. I look forward to learning of both your financial and literary contribution.
Mounir

Mounir I can only apologise for the foot-stamping OP. Please understand the OP is not representative of the majority of VeraCrypt users. VeraCrypt will attract security minded people but also it's fair share irritating adolescents. Please ignore and carry on regardless.
Nov 5, 2014 at 3:54 PM
Edited Nov 5, 2014 at 4:06 PM
I don't know what your story is flaming and insulting me when i am asking the guys when the feature would be available? did you see the part saying i would be grateful? No! Instead you rant and rave like a 12 year old school girl having a hissy fit!

Where does it say i confess to anything? I do see somewhere that i said and i quote "Unless i am wrong i know of no FREE encryption program that will support GUID for whole disk encryption?" end quote.

You really have misinterpreted my post so i am guessing that English is not your first language by far! I am not foot stomping and I am not demanding, i am asking a question, please study English more and you will be clearly be able to understand what is written.

To all, I apologize for Mounir having a heart attack and probably a wine or two too many.

Updated, please note I have edited the first post so its simplified so that Mounir can see what i am saying without too much problems.

here is the part which he cant grasp,,simplified.

What I do not understand is why only paid programs have at this stage gotten around that problem of supporting partitions that are GUID (GPT) ?

Thanks
Nov 5, 2014 at 4:55 PM
I note you were unable to answer my questions and points. A "confession" was extracted not stated.

However by the act of editing your original post demonstrates your capitulation.

Resorting to xenophobia or questioning my English abilities further diminishes your case and subsequently reinforces mine.
Coordinator
Nov 5, 2014 at 5:48 PM
Please gentlemen, let's try to stay calm and avoid personal attacks.

Many people keep asking about the GPT and/or UEFI feature on different posts and I keep answering them by explaining how much resources are needed for the development of such features and reminding everybody that VeraCrypt is based solely on voluntary work. Thus it is normal that the development speed is much slower than for a commercial product because we also need to work in order to pay the bills.

Comparing VeraCrypt with commercial product is not fair. Of course, many commercial products supports GPT and UEFI but do you know what was the budget for integrating such feature? How much resources were needed for development and testing? Maybe this explains why they don't give their implementation for free because they need an return on investment. I was asked few months ago how much I estimate the cost of development of such features and I gave the number of 6 man-months for a dedicated engineer with the right expertise. It easy to do the math to know what kind of budgets is this...

In VeraCrypt, we wants to follow the foot steps of TrueCrypt by bringing the best security for the masses for free. Don't forget that it took several years to TrueCrypt to achieve the status it had.

Of course, VeraCrypt is an open source project where every contribution is welcomed, especially from skilled developers who can help implement key missing features.
Nov 5, 2014 at 7:07 PM
"Many people keep asking about the GPT and/or UEFI feature on different posts and I keep answering them"

Please will you consider hosting a PHPBB forum for VeraCrypt. You could point people to a single preprepared post explaining all this and save yourself a lot of time.

Also it is difficult monitoring conversations on more than one site, sourceforge, here and various other forums. Having one central discussion forum would be a great step forward.
Coordinator
Nov 5, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Nov 7, 2014 at 9:53 AM
Thank you idrassi for your explanation, i fully understand the difficulties and complexities of the issue at hand, I will follow and check now again progress, as i am keen on trying out veracrypt to see how it will integrate with the feature GPT in the future.

Thanks.
Feb 17, 2015 at 4:48 PM
I hope you could improve veracrypt for gpt system encryption very soon
Feb 17, 2015 at 4:50 PM
Now I do not know any free software which full encrypt gpt partition. Do you? I trust in Idrassi
Feb 21, 2015 at 7:31 PM
This GPT thing should not be an issue. I have such distrust for Microsoft products with their back doors and concealed source code, that I will only run them in a virtual environment like VirtualBox in Linux. You can put the the virtual hard drive file (.vdi) in a VeraCrypt encrypted container. You now have VeraCrypt's protection and the Win8 GPT problem is all handled by Oracle's VirtualBox. Its not a 100% security solution if you permit that Win8 machine to connect to the outside world. But it does force Windows to conduct its dirty deeds in the light of day through multiple layers of open source environments.

The point is, if you are security minded enough to run VeraCrypt, you should never put any Microsoft product in direct control of hardware. That is just a false sense of security.
Oct 22, 2016 at 3:52 PM
I had a similar issue and converted my SSD system drive from GPT to MBR. I wrote a step-by-step at http://www.genopro.com/misc/Installing-VeraCrypt/ (How to Install VeraCrypt on a GUID Partition Table (GPT)).