This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

encrypting drive

Topics: Technical Issues
Oct 22, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Hi m8

Sorry if this question was asked already.

I'm wanting to use the feature of encrypting an entire drive, but have files presently on this main drive.

Do I have to move all off the data off, to encrypt the entire drive, or can I just encrypt the entire drive (so you use a PW when you first boot up) without worrying about loosing all of my data.

Many thanks !

ms1233
Coordinator
Oct 22, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Hi,

You can encrypt your system partition without worrying about your data. The encryption process is transparent and you can use your PC while it is being performed.
That being said, it is always important to backup up your important documents before doing such operations.

Cheers,
Oct 22, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Edited Oct 22, 2014 at 3:30 PM
Your a star idrassi!

Ty for replying.

When i'm finished, donation coming your way

If for some reason i need to reverse the process, is this easily doable ? Im running some VM's atm, where outside Ips are connecting as wasn't sure if encrypting the drive would effect this functionality ?
Coordinator
Oct 22, 2014 at 8:04 PM
Thanks!

You can decrypt your system when you wish. You can also pause the encryption process and defer the operation. Just remember to backup the rescue disk that is created during the encryption process as it will be your only solution to decrypt your drive if something wrong happens to the boot loader.

The encryption process doesn't affect any functionality of the PC. Once the system is encrypted, every time you boot, you have to enter a password to decrypt the drive and start Windows: thus, you have to take this into account if you have external connections that expect Windows to automatically start after reboot.

Since you are using VMs, I advise you to do some tests on a VM in order to check all the steps of the encryption process.